If we are experiencing sleeping issues is it wrong to room a 3 and 5 year old together?

I have a 3 year old girl who I cannot get to stay in her own room! I converted her crib into a toddler bed and it made matters even worse. I now have to leave a light on, Symphony playing, the dog in her room, pictures and clocks off the walls!! It doesn't seem to matter anymore. She wakes up halfway through the night and will either end up on my floor camping out (I don't dare let her in the bed) or she sneaks into her sisters room and ends up there.

The older daughter is 8 and she loves the idea of having her sister in her room (now) I have enough space to keep them seperate but the little one has a temper like me and tries with all her might to get her way! I have put my foot down plenty of times doing the sleepless night routine of put her back in the bed...

Do I stick to my guns and continue running the family ragged or do I give in and let them bunk together?

ladyarisffxi

Asked by ladyarisffxi at 5:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Why must you force her to be alone if she doesnt want to? If the sister is ok with it, I don't see what the problem is. My girls all share a room because they like it that way. Where is it written in stone every one HAS to have a separate room?
    Anonymous

• Let them bunk what is the problem?

Answer by older at 5:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It's not and hence where my debate stands. My mom and inlaws tell me it's not okay thus I am looking for help and answers. I was an only child and my husband had a brother both stayed seperately.
    ladyarisffxi

Comment by ladyarisffxi (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• What do I do if the little insists on going into her sisters bed while she is in the room?
    ladyarisffxi

Comment by ladyarisffxi (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• As long as the older sister does not mind I would say,go ahead! U r fine with it. If the kids were one boy and one girl then there would be a problem. So let them bunk together!!! I always shared a room with my sister! There is nothing wrong with it!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Your mom and inlaws r both wrong!
    dancer

• You raise your kids the way YOU want not the way your inlaws & you mom tell you. There's nothing wrong with children sharing a room!
    My kids HAD to share. We didnt have room for everyone to have a separate room! They grew up just fine. I found it also develops sharing.
    Anonymous

• You guys are great thanks a million!!!
    ladyarisffxi

Comment by ladyarisffxi (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• o.k. I don't know about the sharing thing,my sister was selfish with her things.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My sons have pretty much always shared a room. I tried to put them in separate rooms once we moved into a place where they could have them, but I spent every night like you trying to keep them in their rooms, always my youngest trying to go to his brother's room. I finally gave in and moved his bed in there. Now, we're in a place where their room is really small, so they share a double bed.

They love sharing a room, they are very close. I don't think it helps with sharing, lol they are both pretty "mine, mine, mine" sometimes, but it definitely has helped them to develop a bond.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2011