Braces for second time...

Nope, I'm not talking about my kids..I'm talking about myself. I had braces for about 3 years, when I was in middle school and high school (put on when I was 13 and taken off when I was almost 16, I think). I wore my retainer like I was supposed to and my teeth looked great. However, when I got pregnant with my first son, my teeth started shifting again (just my top eye teeth, which were the biggest issue when I first got braces). The dentist said your gums can soften when you're pregnant which is probably what caused this. When I got pregnant with my second son, they shifted even more!

Now, I hate those two teeth! I want it fixed but I really hate the idea of getting braces for a second time at 25 years old. I am going to an orthodontist to see what they can do to fix my moved teeth in the shortest amount of time.

Has anyone else had braces twice? Or had them at an older age like I am? My husband has them (he is 29), but this is his first time having them and he gets them off in October, so he isn't very empathetic of my hatred toward another round of braces. I'm thinking of asking the orthodontist about Invisalign, but I am not sure if they would be any better...

Any thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Health

• I had them twice. Once from 10-12 and once from 30-32. In my twenties, my jaw broadened, and my lower teeth were scrunched. I also waited tooo long to have my wisdom teeth removed.

I don't like my new smile as much, but my bite was sufferring, so I had to have braces again. :(
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Never dealt with this but I do have a friend going through the same thing.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• They have the invisible braces, you can ask the dr about that. They are like a mouthpiece but clear.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Never had them twice. Something you might be able to do is get a wire retainer on those shifted teeth.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2011