Have you ever taken a cruise with your family?

I have traveled a lot in my life, but never been on a cruise. And my father has invited me, my SO, and our DD to go on a 2 weeks cruise from LA to Hawaii, with our own room and everything. Our "Christmas Present" lol..
So needless to say, we are super excited. But i have never been on a cruise..
so for the moms who have gone, and have taken young children (our DD will be 2 1/2 when we go):
What did you pack that you did not need?
What did you WISH you had packed, but didnt?
Good experience? Bad one?

Thanks Ladies!!

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 6:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Travel

• I've only taken cruises with my DH. But one thing to be aware of is they only have showers so if you need to still give baths to your DD, bring a tiny blow up bath. You need casual clothes, shorts, t's, sandals etc. Then you need some dressy casual outfits for dinner in the dining rooms. Just one really Dressy outfit for Formal night, Men wear ties. None of the Dining room dinners are mandatory, you can also eat at the really casual buffets too if you don't want to dress, but I like to get dressed in the evening. They also offer kids camps for days at sea & baby sitting services so you can stay out late & your DD can stay in the room. Bring hats and sunscreen, beach bag etc., they provide beach towels for you. Have a great time! Hope I helped. We've been on a lot of cruises & I love them! There is SOOOO much to do on the boat, day & night!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• you might bring motion sickness medication only if any of you'll get sea sickness XD otherwise have fun
    Reirn

Answer by Reirn at 7:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Thank you so much! It really has helped!
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yes, it was a great experience!

Do bring sickness medication; you may or may not need it but it'll be better to have it just in case you do!

You'll need both casual and dressy clothes. Dinners, especially Captain's Night, are quite formal.

If you choose, there is something to do every minute of every day. You will have a great time!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• On all the ships, if you feel any motion sickness, go to the Front Desk. They give out free motion sickness pills and they work like a miracle! It has only happened to me when we cruise out of NY in the winter since the ocean is rough there that time of year but only for one day. Once you get your sea legs, your fine! The boats are so tremendous that you hardly feel it.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• What can I give to a 2 1/2 year old if she gets motion sickness?
    I have been on other types of boats, and I have never had motion sickness, but my DD has not. Any suggestions for her?
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Babysitting and kids camps are the best. Talk to your Dr. about motion sickness. I have NEVER had it on a ship. They are like big floating hotels. If you are on Carnival- Bring Lanudry stuff- they have a small facility you can use and it is better than packing a bunch of extra stuff. The pools are Saltwater- FYI. For lots of other tips- try www.cruisecritic.com
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:28 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• We have cruised with our kids 6 to 8 times! we love it!!! The first time they were on a cruise they were 9months old. Now 10 and 8. The kids camps are fantastic for every age group! So take advantage of it without worring! The kids will have a great time. I had to practicallyt beg mine to have dinner with us. I took advantage of the half off laundry day. I was not going to do laundry on my vacation. Stuff the bag and have them do it for you. Its worth the small cost. If you are worried about motion sickness they will give you stuff on the ship at no cost. or you can get a patch from your Dr. those last 3 days and are so small they are not noticable.
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 11:38 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Call your Pediatrician & ask what you can give your 2 1/2 year old for motion sickness. I doubt she'll have any, most kids don't at all. They sell a sea sick bracelet at drug stores that helps too. But ask your Ped. just in case.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:35 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Thank you so much ladies for your answers! I really appreciate it!
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011