That baby is TOO smart for their age. Heard this before??....

So for as long as I can remember I've heard people talk about babies and say they are too smart for their age.

I can honestly say that of my 3 boys I really only saw that in my oldest. (at 4 he read on a 2nd grade level).

That being said I always thought it was just a phrase you know. Babies are babies, they may be curious and stuff but i personally have not come across a genius baby, or so I don't think I have. Then there's DD.

Ever since DD was born she's showed little signs here and there that she's smarter than I give her credit for being.

DD is 16 months old and she does the following things that boggle me sometimes lol:
*Wipes her own nose (not in a sliding across the face motion either. It's nice and neat)
*Immediately gets a clean diaper and brings it to you when she poos.
*Will try her best to strip off a diaper that has even a small amount of pee in it
*She knows how to unlock mine and dh's phones
*Goes in the kitchen, tiptoes to reach into the drawer and get her spoon, then brings it to me when she's hungry.
* She drags her "princess pony" (her purple pillow pet lol) out of her room, and into the living room so she can lay on it.

Various other things as well.

This isn't meant to be a "look at my baby" thing... .I NEED to know that other 16 month old babies do this!! None of my boys did any of this. None of it. I know for the most part each baby is different, but she just seems, for lack of a better word...smarter?

Moms? What are your 16month olds like?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 6:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She sounds a lot like my daughter, and there is nothing wrong with bragging. :o) However, I'm not sure it has so much to do with intelligence as with her personality. My son could care less whether he did things on his own-- he is a smart kid, he just doesn't care. My daughter, however, has been fiercely independent since birth. She doesn't want anyone to do it for her when she could be doing it herself. I've always chalked everything up to that part of her personality. She makes herself learn because she doesn't want help.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 6:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I have no problem with you bragging about your cutie, yes she sounds very smart! Some children move a little fast and others slower. As their parents it is our honor to be in owe (spelling?) of them.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If she brings a new diaper if she has a dirty one...you might wanna think about potty training her!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Well, honestly my DD at between 16-18 months was doing a lot of things like that. Not all of it because she was a late walker but she was an early talker...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If she's doing that with her diapers already, introduce her to the potty. She is aware of those bodily functions. I'm not saying force her to potty train ASAP, but gently show her the option is there and she's capable of it.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 6:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• @ cheekycherub

Already on it lol. As soon as dh saw that he went and got a potty the next day.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• @ohbaldi

We're taking the same approach as we did with the boys. Nice and easy. All our boys got used to going on the potty by sitting on it with a book or a teddy. Sometimes I had even let them watch tv while they were on it. Just to get them to relax.

She has no fears of her new potty, thank goodness. Hopefully soon one she'll relax enough to go on it. lol
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• @ other mother.... you know I didn't even think to think about personality traits... just to goobsmacked at the things she does I guess LoL

Thank you
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• maybe its a girl thing...lol...yeah my daughter did alot of same hings by that time. she is 2 now. she started on the potty and then we kind of stoed but i will be starting up again because she stays dry. enjoy it. i just take it her as she comes and just play and have fun and talknd nuture her as you been doing and enjoyyour baby girl.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• encourage your kids nothing wrong with being smart.. my son can only say 15 words or so but if you ask him to do something ( one step directions) he will do it & if you ask him what he wants he will show you..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2011