Is this normal at 3?

My DS is has a PDD so I have nothing to compare this to. She is 3 years and 4 months. She has been potty trained since she was 2. She can carry on conversations back and forth for at least 4-5 exchanges. She can count to 20 in English and 10 in Spanish and 3 in Chinese She can identify all the capitol letters and half the lower case. she can identify most numbers 1-10. She knows her colors and shapes and is writing her name. She draws people with a head and arms and legs and a face. She eats neatly with a spoon and fork and can butter her own bread. She can pedal a bike and skip.

Is this pretty normal? I would think it was but then again my DS was so far behind... she is not in daycare so I have nothing to go by and all the charts online say different things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have no idea what pdd is so....I'll bump ya though.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• She sounds advanced, but defiantly within the normal range for her age. She is right on track and should do well in pre school or kindergarten! :) Good job!!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 6:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Pervasive Developmental Disorder.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I'd say she's normal. My son can do all that besides the drawing...his drawings are still scribbles. And butter his bread...he doesn't like butter. lol.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 6:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• she sounds pretty average. you should ask a dr. if you are really concerned.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 6:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I hope so, my son is 2yrs& 4 months, he can count up to 10, he can count up to 3 in Spanish.He will also tell me whatever he needs for example he will tell me that he wants to take a shower he says" come on mom, gonna take shower" or " make me chocolate milk", or i will dial my mothers number on my cell and he will tell her "I want to go to your house grandma, of course his words arent clear but everyone that hears him can understand him, I also have a 4 yr old, who wouldnt talk much, he started at 3yrs old, My 2 yr old is much more advanced at his age than what my 4 yr old was. But to be honest w/you Im so proud of him& at times I tell myself that he might just be a genius!
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• She sounds to be in the higher percent of normal. Smart girl specially if she doesn't go to pre school.

Answer by older at 6:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Okay so we are on track! I was worried we may not be doing enough at home for her but I guess she is fine. She will not start preschool until next fall because of her birthday.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Good for you for working with her and having her above her age level. At her age my children were reading on a 2nd-3rd grade level as well on top of being multi-lingual and able to hold conversations and count to 20-50 in English, Russian, Spanish & Gaelic. They are 12, 8 and 4 and my 12yo will be starting at an Ivy League school (college) in the Fall as he graduates from high school in June. My 8yo is in the 9th grade and my 4yo is in the 4th grade and both should be out of high school by 11-13 years old. People often think we are making it up but if you look up people like the Panabaker sisters who are actresses you will see that completing college at 16-17 is not unheard of. We started working with our children the minute they were born and it shows. So, good for you for having a child with potential.
    Anonymous

• well there is any thing to fear is normal she all right just put her in summer camp she will like it alot and is fun and also go to chrunch with her on sundays you will feel better will will see get closer to god he hears you everyday god bless you both
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2011