I have reason to think I'm being lied to **Edited**

My 20 y/o son is bring his 17 y/o GF to meet us for the 1st time. (they've been dating since Feb) She lives 1 1/2 hrs away in another state. They met on FB, & he says he's met her parents & they know how old he is. My ques is, why would the parents of a 17 y/o girl, allow her to travel across state lines to spend the weekend (not in my hm- but they are staying at my sister's apt) w/ a boy? I have some real concerns about this. But what can I really do about it?

** I met her (she's adorable BTW:)   She's not a drop out, but is getting homeschooled.  I offered to talk to her mom, but I was "assured" it was ok.  So what now?  Just keep my fingers crossed & hope for the best?! Hopefully his dad is watching over him & helping us out w/ this one! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• listen to your gut..always trust ur motherly instinct
    rebelmommy11

Answer by rebelmommy11 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Listen to your gut feeling when you meet her and make sure to ask her questions about her life and family, try to be a little sneaky though :) no harm in trying to figure out who your son is dating. Try to set up a meeting with her parents as well.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 6:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Could you ask for the parents phone number? Otherwise couldn't it be considering kidnapping a minor over state lines or something?
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 6:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• honestly, some parents are really lenient and wouldn't care. I would try to get ahold of her parents if possible, but... if they are lying about this, then its their problem, and if there are consequences to pay, then they will have to take responsibility for them.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 7:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Is your son living with you and will this girl be staying with you? If so I'd tell him no way until you've talked to her parents. I'd never let my daughter do it.
    If not, there's not much you can do.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Tarrar: Thanks, I know some are more lenient than I would ever be w/ my own dau. I know she's not in school right now & I would not allow my child to drop out either! (I would at least make her get her GED) I know I would never allow an over night or weekend visit either! If she gets caught, she gets grounded- If my son gets in trouble he has to hire an attorney! I dont think the boy is thinking w/ the right "brain" -lol And I did express these exact concerns to him before he left to get her & of course he said all is fine. Agh!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2011