Headstart......???????????

My daughter will be 4 in december. I was just speaking with someone who works at the headstart program in town here. See we just moved back to my hometown very small everyone knows everyone very safe place/area for your children. Back where we were living our child was not going to attend any daycare/headstart or anything around there. Now that we are home its a maybe.

Now she is very social & we are constantly out doing things & not just errands I mean attending events, hitting parks, playgroups, volunteering you name it we basically do it. She is ahead for her age (from what I gather & see from the other children her age). She is starting to write letters, cuts with scissors (two hands but just fine), speech is way above her age group (everyone comments on it & guesses her to be at least a year older then she is), is learing things such as her presidents (yes she is excited about that & asked to learn them all), knows all her planets, knows her town/state/country/continent/planet she livecs on...... plus so so so much more beyond all of that.

My question to you ladies is do you think she will need to do the headstart thing? We are still leaning towards no but I am snagging her a spot on monday just in case we change our minds, our friend said the spots will fill up then if we do change our minds we cant sign up. If we dont wanna go through with it then we can just not go & they will give our spot the someone on the waiting list. What do you guys think? If you sent your child(ren) did they gain anything from it all? Thanks ladies.

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids have always been ahead for their age as well. My daughter entered kindergarten reading at a second grade reading level. We have always done preschool. They enjoy the social interaction. We do all sorts of other activities as well. In the end it is your choice on what you want to do. You could always send her the first week and see what she thinks of it.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 7:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My daughter is 3.5 and started headstart this year.. It has been amazing for her she absolutely loves it. She already identifying her name and writting it. She is learning a lot more than I thought.. So I am all for headstart if it is in a small town and not over run..
    crgarcia294

Answer by crgarcia294 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Mine were always ahead as well because I made it a point to make sure they knew things and would be prepared for pre-k (head start). I have always allowed them to attend because I think it is good practice to get them into the habit of school.

Answer by gemgem at 7:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Statisically...children who have been in headstart have most often gone and done well in college. Good luck with your decision.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I put mine in headstart because I feel it will help with the transition to Kindergarten. The teachers at our local headstart are very understanding, and they ease the kids into the school setting. I didn't need it so much with my oldest, but my 2 youngest I think are definitely gonna need it- they are Momma's boys! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My son went to head start. It help out alot.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• yes you should get her to heardstart it will help her alot also but there is also problem for children on TV for free everyday and that also will help her also buy dvd for kids and that also help alot also go to chruch they also have problems for free of charge that you dont have to pay anything and also will help you get closer to god well this is all god bless you both
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2011