How can you tell if you have head lice? (Story w/this.)

Okay so its starts off like this, last week I was talking to a co worker& she had her hair in a ponytail, since we were close enough I saw a bug crawling in her hair, I freaked out but didnt tell her.About a week before that she was telling me how she had to cut her 3 daughters hair because they had gotten head lice at school.Now on Monday I walked into the kitchen at work to help her cook for our patients, well im never in the kitchen but decided to help her out that day, then she puts a net on my head because its mandatory if your going to be dealing w/food.Then i realized it was one of her nets.Yesterday& today my head has been itching all day, it got to the point to where I had to tell another worker that I was very embarrassed but my head was itching, now this other staff member tells me how her head has been itching for the past 2days or so.Im like wth now, i cant check my own head but I just find it so strange that my head is itching like hell, Im going to my mothers later on tonight so she can check my head, I would like to bring it up to my boss but they have been friends for over 10yrs, im sure my boss will let her know i said something.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Hair nets should never be shared and it should be a health violation. It should be brought up to the boss...and you can leave it at that. Get the lice shampoo anyways and use it to ease your mind. Lice lay their eggs close to the scalp because the eggs require our body heat to hatch. They are adhered with a super "glue" and are VERY difficult to remove. The bug itself likes to stay close to the scalp as well. they typically aren't just hanging off hair or climbing onto other things...it's a matter of survival. Keep in mind that even after using Lice shampoo and a fine tooth comb, there may STILL be hatched eggs in the hair for months...they are that hard to remove. So many people freak out thinking they must still have it and over-do the chemicals when all they are seeing is old eggs.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• u should bring too ur boss. i would be upset if one of my coworkers new someone had headlice and i got.
    chris1975

Answer by chris1975 at 1:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• okay girls here some thing you might not know head lices only comes if have clean hair
    so if you wash your hair every day you will get it
    if you wash hair once while or leave it for week
    because they hate dirty hair ,but true
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 9:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Although they prefer "warmer spots" on the head, just section off your hair, that you can see & look. The nits (eggs) are visible. Almost like a small sesame seed & are off-white to tannish in color. IF you see what you think is nits, feel it. Like a previous poster said, it's like they are glued to your hair shaft. Dandruff will move. It never hurts to give yourself a treatment, just in case. After the treatments, & until you are positive this co-worker is clear of them, use the nit comb to comb thru your hair when you have conditioner in it. Since you said patients... I think, not to be mean, that you need to tell your boss that you suspect it. Don't accuse. It just takes one person to infect everyone. Good luck!
    since_3.18.93

Answer by since_3.18.93 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 11, 2011