Are you in your career by choice or accident?

Do you feel that the job/career you are currently in is using all your talents and skills to the best of your ability? Are you happy with your job? Do you think that life has more to offer but you don't know the steps to take to get there?

I know I do! After my divorce I moved out of state, started a new career and now I'm ready to make another move....I would love to move closer to the city....I want to work full time in special ed/educational advocacy/in the autism field but now the question is which do I want to go into and how do I do it. I'm 4 years older than I was when I first got divorced and own a home.

have any of you gone throught something like this? If yes, please tell me about it.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Onmyown2727

Asked by Onmyown2727 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• I left Ft Worth Texas 2 years ago on Vaction to Puerto Vallarta. I had been at my Medical Marketing Job for 10 years. It was the week that the swine flue came to be. Long story short. I stayed in Guadalajara, never to this day made it back to Texas and Now I own My own Medical Tourism Company that I love.
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Both for me
    I graduated from college at 21 with a degree in Secondary Education. After college, I got married to a man who had two kids. I subbed for a year--pretty much everyday. I then got pregnant and decided to keep subbing until the baby was one. Well, that turned into longer because there were some issues--he had crossed eyes and needed surgery. Then it became longer when he was diagnosed with autism. Then, my DH and I got a divorce. I got a full time job TSSing with autistic children, then I ran an adult day facility for adults with disabilities. Then I went back to school at 33 to get a special ed certificate. I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in two years. She had begun working at private school for kids with social/emotional disorders and they were looking for a new teacher. I got the job. I love it. It took me a bit to find my career, but the wait was worth it. I would suggest to just try things and
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• see what sticks. You never know what will make you happy or unhappy until you try it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I spent 12 years in the military and now work around the military as a contractor. So I can say it was by choice. I am more comfortable working around the military because that's technically all I know.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I graduated from college with my BSN at age 21, and have been working as a nurse for 32 years, by choice.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011