Is my milk going to dry up?

I have a newborn that I am exclusively breastfeeding but he only eats every 3 hours from one side only. I try to get him to nurse more often but if he's not hungry, he's not hungry. I'm worried I might dry up. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I should clarify that each feeding is from one side and I do alternate sides with a new feeding.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• my daughter did the same thing...if I was to try and switch her over she would stop eating so she just got a good helping off of one side at a time...it might benefit you to pump so the other side doesn't become so engorged...it will also help keep your supply up :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• YOu can pump simultaneously :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No, but your supply won't increase as rapidly. I'd try pumping the opposite side that your feeding him from, even if you don't need the milk right now. Save in the freezer...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I do have a medela hand pump but it makes me sore : (
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Try la leche leage international. They have a plethora of info and you can even locate a lactation consultant or email one your questions. They get back with answers fairly quickly and they helped me so much when I was having problems. As for the hand pump have you tried buying different flanges? Maybe its too small or too big? They have soft cup ones that massage you as you pump.Also there are many supplements and teas you can take to help oomph your supply if you think its not enough.
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Do you get WIC for your baby? They will get you an electric pump, so it will be much easier and less painful. im sure the appitite will increase, so you really should pump as much as possible, so your milk supply will be able to keep up with the growing appitite. Good Luck!
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 8:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Nursing and pumping are the best way to increase or stabilize your milk supply
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 8:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• oh the ups and downs of breastfeeding! first i was engorged, then my supply ran low. i went to a lactation consultant who advised me to "power pump" every 2 hours, even if i only got a few drops. after about a week (it was a looooong) week, my milk came back--and then some! i also took an herbal supplement called "mother's milk," and drank the tea, too! you can get your supply back, but it'll take some work. don't give up! good luck!!! :) www.tulipandthelma.com
    tulipandthelma

Answer by tulipandthelma at 8:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No, you will not dry up if you are nursing on demand, which is what you are doing. Breast feeding is supply and demand, you your supply will meet what your baby demands. You should look for 6-8 diaper changes in a 24 hr period for an EBF baby, and as long as you're getting that, your supply is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2011