Has anyone gotten steroid shots? And do they keep you in the hospital afterwards?

I am 23 weeks an 3 days pregnant an I go back in a week for the doctor to give me a steroid shot, I dont know ANYTHING about it so I didn't have any questions to ask, but the more I read the more scared I get!!! Is it true that they only give them to you if they think you are going to deliver within a week???? And I am getting them because I have been on bed rest for the past 2 weeks because I have a very thin cervix.

firsttimer338

Asked by firsttimer338 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I agree with MRSLEFTLANE, i was going into preterm at barely 6 months along and they thought i was gonna have my daughter within 48 hours, and then 24 hours....ha i fooled them i carried her for a whole week in the hospital and then they sent me home and low and behold i didnt deliver until she was 8 1/2 months along! but they give it to mothers who might go into labor, to make sure just incase you have a little suprise to come along soon, but it doesnt mean that you will or that you are.:)
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 8:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Usually they are given to help develope lungs when an impending delivery is expected. Has your OB said anything to you about why? I wouldn't allow anyone to put a medication inside my body without knowing the exact reason why. Call you Dr instead of working yourself into an anxiety attack.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I agree with Grn. You should never let anyone medicate you and/or the baby without knowing things like why, what is it, what will it do, etc. Did they tell you what kind of steroid it is? I have only heard of 2 types of medications like that given during pregnancy. One is to quickly mature the babys lungs to prepare for early delivery. That one is not normally a scheduled shot however unless you have beein going into early labor and they have been unable to stop it. In which case you would more than likely be in the hospital already. The other one (not sure if it's a steroid) is tributeline. That is given to stop contractions when they are causing early labor. Again they probably would not have scheduled you for that shot. If you were going into labor they would have wanted to stop it immediately. i would call your OB/GYN before the appointment and get more details on the shot and what it is for.
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I had them, they did it because they thought our son was going to come early so they wanted his lungs to be open so he could breathe. I ended up carrying him full term, so he was fine. They won't put you in the hospital unless they feel it's necessary . Call your OB if you're worried.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I had them yes. They thought labor was imminent. They were wrong. You get them just in case to help the lungs develop should you end up delievering, but even if you don't right away no harm no foul. My baby was fine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011