What can I give a 3 month old for nose and chest congestion?

missy_hampton

Asked by missy_hampton at 7:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a 4 month old with the same problem... couldn't find any Infant Tylenol cold at the drug store. seems they no longer make infant cold medicine.. We put vicks on his back, chest, and feet (w/ socks) after a warm bath. Also I got Little Noses infant saline drops, put a few in, wait a minute, then use the bulb syringe to suck it out. Otherwise, we propped up the head of his crib by putting 2 pillows underneath and lay him to sleep on his side (so at least one nostril stays clear). He's doing better, not as congested, but we've been doing this for almost two weeks now!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Vicks VapoRub
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• only thing i'd comfortably suggest is give the baby the BABY VICKS RUB! make sure it's the babies and not the one for adults...

there isn't much you can do for them but make sure to keep the boogies out of the nose and maybe if your able to raise up the crib a bit ? my daughter sleeps in a pack and play so i'm not sure how the cribs work but i've had friends have to do that...

and really just make sure you give him/her lots of loving to help them feel better =]

if all else fails ask his/her doctor. but i don't think they would do much unless it turned into something worse.

hope your baby feels better!
    anabelsmommy08

Answer by anabelsmommy08 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My doc gave me this recipe for nose drops. 4 oz. warm water, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp. baking soda. Then put 2 drops in each nostril and then suck it out. It will help to loosen all the gunk up in baby's nose.
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 11:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• yeah, it's tough...at that age you can't give them much.

when my son was badly congested, i got a warm steam humidifier and ran that all night in his room. it seemed to ease his breathing a bit. i also elevated the head end of his crib with rolled up towels beneath the mattress. i tried saline drops in the nose but had a hard time getting him to let me put them in. he also hates for me to syringe out his nose when it's blocked.

at one point when he couldn't seem to sleep at all (too congested), i laid down with him in the bed in his room and snuggled him close, with his head resting on my arm. that seemed to give a better angle and being snuggled with me was comforting, so he was able to fall asleep. good luck!
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 11:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Squirt breast milk up your baby's nose and suction it out, this worked great when my guy got stuffy so much better than saline.

Turn on a very hot shower and sit in the bathroom and let your baby breath in the steam that can loosen up congestion as well.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 2:40 AM on Dec. 4, 2008