Too skinny?

My son is 14 months old and weighs 21 pounds. First off I'm worried because hes not walking yet and also because his dad and I were so chunky at that age and hes so much more skinny than we were. I thought he was eating good since hes been off formula but maybe I was wrong? Sometimes he refuses to eay. Other times he does great. Not sure what to do about both that and walking. We work at walking all the time.

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldnt start getting concerned about walking till he reaches 18 months. I didnt learn how to walk until I was 19 months and my boys didnt walk until they were 15 mo. so... about the weight thing if your pediatrician isn't concerned I wouldn't sweat it. My SIL has 4 kids all of them were CHUNKY but the youngest is soooo tiny! every kid is different.
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Is your doctor concerned? Sometimes kids will eat you out of house and home one day, and refuse a cookie the next. It's ok that he isn't walking, as long as he is walking by 18 months. Encourage him to walk to you or daddy. Offer him healthy foods like bananas, or carrots and peanut butter. As long as he isn't loosing weight, I wouldn't worry too much. My dd is tiny. 23lbs at 19 months, but my doctor isn't worried because she has been gaining weight stedily, and not loosing any. Also, has he had any blood work done? My dd was anemic, which caused her to gain weight very slowly because of the lack of iron. She was put on some meds, and is fine now...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 7:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• What is your son's height like? Is his height proportionate to his weight, or is he average height? I don't think 21 lbs is that thin for an average 14 month old. None of mine have hit 20 lbs before a year, and my 2nd was only 15 lbs at 12 months. Unless his dr is concerned about his weight, I wouldn't be.
    As far as the walking, 14 months really isn't "late" for that. I think the average is between 12-14 months anyway.
    If you're still concerned, you can always call early intervention for your area and have a developmental evaluation, but I'm not sure they would even do one for a 14 month old that isn't walking.

Answer by missanc at 7:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• my youngest is 14 months and is about 22 pounds, she is also not very thin cause she's a shortie! she learned to walk at 12 months so she's working off some of her chub. but anyway 21 pounds doesn't seem thin for a 14 month old,depending on height though i guess. and as a PP said, some kids don't walk til 18 months.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• He is in the 90th percentile for his height. Pretty tall
    BraydonsMama262

Comment by BraydonsMama262 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• my kid is 25 lbs & 22 months.. as long as you see him eating i wouldn't worry too much.. my son didn't walk until 15 months and some don't walk until 18 months.. all kids eat alot sometimes then don't eat at all other days no worried they eat when they are hungry
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Sounds pretty normal to me, my 14 month old in about 20 lb and 28 in. She has just started with the eat good one meal or even a whole day then just nibble on other days. She does walk has since 9 month but I don't think yours is outside the norm.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 12:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i wouldnt worry about the weight as long as dr says he is healthy my boys are 16 months and weigh 22 pounds try putting some flavor on the food.
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 6:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011