How much milk is enough

my little one is 5 weeks old. i am wondering how much is enough for her age? i breasfeed her ,but once or twice a day i give her formula. i usually make her 4 oz,but sometimes it looks to me that she is still hungry. is this enough for her?

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the baby will know i nursed too and every on eis always wondering that..
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• at 5 weeks old, it's better to feed them smaller amounts more often..they're digestive system is very immature and it can make their tummy upset...I would try a couple ounces at a time more often...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Just out of curiosity why are you supplementing? Typically that isn't recommended if you plant to breast feed long tern as it can lower your milk supply. AS far as the question of is she eating enough. All you need to measure is the amount of wet and dirty diapers/ 6-7 wet and 1 dirty daily. Actually in a breast feeding infant it may get to the point where they only have a dirty diaper every few days. If you are meeting the diaper quota then everything is as it should be.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• 4 oz seems like a lot to be giving on top of nursing. I'd probably do less. I'm also curious as to why you are supplementing, simply because if it's something that you'd prefer NOT to do, and feel you have some sort of issue that makes you feel like you NEED to supplement, I'd like to help you sort it out and fix it if anything needs fixing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• if you are breastfeeding there is no need for formula, nurse on demand and look for 6-8 diapers a day.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• If you think she is still hungry after the 4 oz then try to make another 2 and if she eats it then I would stop...If she dosnt want any more then she wont take it. Usualy they dont take that much...if the over eat that is usualy when they will spit up a lot. Well that or the burp came up with a little extra on top. I am not the kinda person who goes after people for formula feeding or BFing but what the other women are saying about if you supplement you will start to lower your supply. It happened with my son. I just couldnt pump anymore (he wouldnt latch) But Good luck with your little one!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2011