Teachers and budget cuts..

Are teachers losing jobs where you live due to budget cuts?
They are in my area. Me. Plus several districts surrounding me. For any jobs that do open there will be 100+ people applying.
How can the state promise X amount of dollars and then mid year say,"No, we aren't doing that, in fact we are going to be late with the funding we promised, and btw, it will be 1 million, or even 2 million short of what we promised you."
I think I'll try that with my mortgage company:)

1plustwinsmommy

Asked by 1plustwinsmommy at 7:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• Last year there was a lot of concern over teachers losing their jobs, this year though I have yet to hear anything about additional cuts.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Our current superintendent alongside the state government has seriously screwed our public schools. Thankfully, she made it public last night that she was resigning at the end of the month. Now it's time to put the pieces back together, ugh. Glad to homeschool my kids.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• We are level funded for next year... that means we are loosing some teachers & support staff. Also loosing a bunch of other town employees ;o(

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It's even more twisted in FL. They have cut the education budget to almost nothing and then they passed a class size limit law to keep the number of children per class down, forcing the schools to have to pay for extra teachers.....but there's less money than ever..... An ugly, vicious cycle.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I'm not sure where you're from, but that's the story here in Ohio. No one has job security, they're cutting left and right, eliminating anything "extra" (field trips, sports, clubs etc) and any jobs that do come up go to the laid off teachers, so anyone new to the pond is just screwed. They're not getting a teaching job here anytime soon. My fiance's aunt just had her entire district receive pink slips, my aunt has been notified as of June she no longer has a job (been with the school 28 years.) Schools are closing, and the government is threatening to take over several local districts that have been in "academic emergency" for several years. Well, it's hard to offer support services, like tutoring for students, when you don't even have the money to pay the teachers you have, let alone the tutors. But cuts they continue to make.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011