I was recently told by someone that they thought adhd is brought on by some kinda trigger what do you think

My son is adhd,autistic,and sensory processing disorder I think mybe that could trigger the adhd but I gota say I believe it is a mental health disorder you are born with and was greatly affended by that ,I am a great mom anyone who knows me knows that.

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• ADHD is a brain disorder, and like tyfry said, is chemical-based. Symptoms can be mild or severe, depending on case-by-case symptom listings. It's already hardwired in the brain, and kids are generally genetically predisposed to it...Can go from a sister/brother to a niece/nephew or can directly affect cousins. There's many mental disorders that are genetically linking.
    mom23musketeerz

Answer by mom23musketeerz at 12:37 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• No I dont think something triggers it. I think your born that way.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No, ADHD is not triggered by something else. It is a documented mental health disorder that is chemical based.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I think a lot of times drs push this onto children. I DO believe it can be real. I'm not sure tha ti beleive you are born with it OR if something triggers it. That is a great question and something to think about!

I think in some cases it CAN be triggered by something. not enough discipline, or a family issue (parents splitting or fighting often) or not enough attention...im not saying this is the case for every child who has adhd, but i also have never thought "are you born with adhd?". thats def something to think about!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think it can be. I know adoptees are more likely to have ADHD than non-adoptees.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Food allergies can trigger ADHD. They can also cause other problems as well. Try eliminating one food each week and see how your child does.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 12:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2011