WHAT A DAY....baby shopping

I spent the day with ummm how do i say it? My soon to be grandbabies mom. I haven't seen her since I found out she was pregnant. I have offered many times but always got a "ill get with you" (they are not together) So I took her to lunch, uncomfortable at first but we got back in the swing of it. Then I took her shopping. I picked up an outfit that says "Daddy loves me" she said "hmmmph i don't think so" I realizee they are not together any longer but I do know he already loves this baby and plans on caring for her in every way so I was hurt by the comment. Am I wrong to want my Grand child to have items that say Daddys Girl, and such? Was I wrong to be hurt? Plus she tells me on the way home that her Dad seemed pretty upset that she had spent the day with me. (she is 17). I cared about this girl as a person BEFORE she became pregnant - and they never had a problem with her going places with me prior. Maybe I'm just not "getting it"????

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 8:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it was nice of you to keep reaching out to her and spending some time with her, it was probably not the right time to pick out an outfit of that nature......while your trying to be involved and get back a relationship with her its probably best to stay neutral at this stage......its not wrong to want outfits like that, I dont really think they are necessary personally, my daughter only had 1 top like that and someone else had bought it for her, we know her Dad loves her, we didnt need it plastered all over her. Let his love and actions speak
    :-)
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• well, i can understand your hurt by her rejection toward the outfit. however she can't stop you from buying it - just do it on your own and leave it with your son or in your home so the baby can wear it when he/she is with you.

as far as her dad being upset, he may not know the whole story as to why your son and his daughter aren't together anymore. for all he knows this is another classic abandonment case.

i hope it all works out for the baby's sake! =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think it was thoughtless of you to pick that t-shirt, and if you want a relationship with her and your grandchild you'll need to be more sensitive. Let your son bye those kinds of things, you need to be seen as neutral.
    I'd ignore the "Dad seemed pretty upset" comment.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I can see her not wanting to have reminders of her ex written all over the baby, especially since she probably feels like she is going through this pregnancy alone, her age, and the circumstance. I would try not to take it personally.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2011