How to encourage a toddler to pick up his toys?

My son will be 3 in May. He's pretty good about picking up his toys - if you do it too and nag him (unless he knows he gets something when he's done, like an extra chapter read at bedtime). Is it just his age or are there things I can do to encourage him to help a little more? Do you all have games or anything you play with your little ones to encourage them to learn to pick up after themselves?

CrystalRobin

Asked by CrystalRobin at 8:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have my daughter pick up her toys, but i def dont expect her to pick up a LARGE amount of toys, (theyll get bored easily) I think cleaning in general is something a minor doesnt enjoy doing regardless of age lol.

However, with my daughter...ill sing" clean up clean up everybody every where clean up clean up everybody do your share" and ill sing it faster and faster and faster and clean up faster and faster and faster.... she thinks its funny and does it also.

I also do the whole" If you clean up your kitchen toys, you can go outside and play, or you can have a snack"...or something she wants to do.... i dont look at is as bribing, i look at it as, if you do your priorities first, you get something out of it. Those are life lessons im hoping my daughter takes on the rest of her life, even starting at a young age (2) and with small thing (like cleaning her kitchen play food, or bath toys etc)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If he dosnt pick them up Take them ALL away and DONT let him play with them. It's that simple. One toy at a time rule works to. If they put the first toy away they can play with anther one.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My son will be three next month as well. I have found that with him singing the Barney cleanup song and doing it around the same time each evening helps a lot.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• clean up with him, sing the clean-up song & don't let him take out too many toys at a time so that cleaning up is not hard
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2011