Can i give watered juice to a 7 week old who hasnt pooped since yesterday

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 8:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. An EBF baby (usually after about 4 weeks or so) can have changes in bowel habits. I know it sounds crazy, but they can safely go up to about 3 weeks between bowel movements, as long as the stool is not dry, hard or pellet like. One day is no biggie at all. Do you mind me asking why you're supplementing? If it's simply because you want to, great, but if it's because you think/feel you NEED to for some reason, and would rather NOT supplement, I'd like to try to help you stop (of course, only if that is something you want).
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Not pooping since yesterday really shouldn't be a big concern. I'd talk to your ped. My son went poop every other day after a few weeks of being home.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 8:23 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• my opinion - i wouldnt.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 8:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It is totally normal for a breastfed baby to not poop everyday. There is so little waste in breastmilk that BF babies don't always poop as often. Watch your LO and see. If he goes longer than 10 days without pooping, then contact the doc. Also when he does poop, as long as it is soft, then there is no problem. If his belly is hard or his stools are hard when he does poop, then contact the doctor.

I know I freaked out the first time my oldest stopped pooping everyday. The doc reassured me it was normal and nothing to worry about.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• its actually normal for them not to poop every day when they're newborns. what's likely going to happen is your baby is going to poop SEVERAL times a day tomorrow or the day after.. LOL. it's nothing to be concerned over unless his tummy is hard and he is irritable even after you've exhausted every other need. in which case you should call his pediatrician before giving him anything.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• do not give a 7 week old baby juice of any kind. poops vary from day to day and sometimes a breastfed baby can go 2-3 days without a bm. call up a lactation consultant or someone from le leche league for advice and reassurance.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• when my DD was about 6 weeks we had the same problem and the ped said it was ok... but you should check withyour ped.
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 8:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If it was a LONG period of time i would give watered down apple juice. since it was only yesterday, no i wouldnt. that is a normal time frame.

My nephew was given watered down apple juice per his pediatrician ONLY because he hadnt pooped for about 21 days. He was 8 weeks i believe...

if you are worried, call the pedi or a pharmacy and ask what the normal length of time is to have a bowel movement in a (formula or breastfed infant)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't, I would ask the doctor first.

Answer by older at 8:22 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• When I was breastfed my dd, she would go a couple of days without pooping. I freaked out just like you! I learned that breastfed baby usually don't get constipated. If the baby is not straining I would just leave he/she alone and let nature takes its course.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2011