Is your so's name on your child's birth certificate?

my fiance and i aren't married. when we had our son the hospital wouldn't give our son his last name since we weren't married. i sent in the form for his birth certificate. i put his father's name on the form. when i got his birth certificate it didn't say his name on it. is this because we aren't married? is his name on the records even though it's not on the birth certificate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow that's absolute bullshit that they did that. I had a baby before I met my husband. The father and I weren't even together when my son was born and while he was given my last name, the father's name was on the birth certificate for sure. I can't friggin believe that. What about the child, shouldn't he know who's genetics he has! It call the records office.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Umm you do realize YOU fill out the birth cert and the hospital has NO SAY in who's last name you give the baby dont you?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• my husband and i were NOT married when we had our first daughter together and i went right across the hall from my hospital room to the birth certificate office, with him standing there, and put his last name on the certificate. all he had to do was sign it and all was well. call your vital statistics office and find out wahts going on.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Hm thats strange. My bf is on our daughters and she took his last name legally.

that was 2 years ago, idk if something changed??
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• that's very much odd, my ex and i weren't married and he was allowed to be put on the birth certificate and my dd's could have taken his last name if i would have chose them to.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• yes
    DanielleMason

Answer by DanielleMason at 8:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I've never heard of that, my DS's father is on his birth certificate, and he would've had his father's last name if I'd chosen to do so. I went with mine since his father and I weren't together when DS was born, and still aren't. But for child support purposes the father has to be legally established, and this is done through paternity. When paternity proves he's the father, the name goes on the birth certificate. So I don't understand how the hospital could veto anything you've written on there. My fiance and I are expecting our daughter in May. He will be listed as the father, and she will legally have his last name, even though we aren't married. Not sure why you're having such troubles.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 8, 2011