How do you get your toddlers to NOT eat markers and crayons

I love letting my 18 month old twins color but no matter what I do, the activity ends because they won't stop chewing on the markers and crayons.
is it just their age or are their tips/tricks I can use to get them to stop.
i've tried saying no, and putting them away when they do it but they just get too curious about it and put them in their mouth time and time again.
UGH its so frustrating.

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• We don't do markers until they get closer to 4 and can refrain from coloring everything but the paper with markers. I like the twistable crayons for the age of your kids. They can't figure out how to twist them up, but the plastic keeps them from eating the entire thing. Plus, they really don't seem as fun to chew on. When I see them trying to eat them, I will say, "We color, we don't eat." They do get passed that stage and get to where they can color without eating the crayons. Also, at that age, mine loved to "water paint." Get construction paper and give them each a small cup of water and a paint brush. They can use the water to "paint" on the construction paper. They love it. No mess. And if they drink it, it is just water.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• when my son would do this I would take the crayons away for a few days. whenever he chewed on them or put them into his mouth they were gone. Eventually he stopped- I'm not sure if he grew out of eating crayons or if he figured out what I was trying to convey to him.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Talk to them about germs, and getting sick etc. That should stop them :) If not, I think that crayons are not so bad to digest. It will make their poop colorful!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 8:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I didn't let my 18 month old color with markers and crayons. Coloring really isn't all that important at 18 months, and as you're finding out the children are more interested in chewing the objects then using them for their intended purpose. I introduced crayons at 2 years of age, and colored with DS, never left him alone. I didn't introduce markers until he was almost 4, and that was because someone else bought them for us. Markers are messy and stain walls/furniture. I've always had success getting A-wall crayon off things besides paper. It's not going to hurt anything for your LO's to color, but if you find yourself getting frustrated with their age appropriate behavior, just remove the objects till about 2. Coloring is not developmentally necessary before this age.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• it is normal for that age, they still want to chew on half the things they touch. its actually how they learn, by tasting everything.. lol. but of course, crayons/markers in the mouth are a no-no. i would just simply say No and take the crayons away and find a new activity to do. the beautiful thing about 18 month olds is they quickly get over things if they are re-directed =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I would say its an age thing, 18 mths is very young to be coloring with markers etc I think, they dont really understand the concept therefore dont understand no matter how you try that they are meant to put pen to paper not to put in your mouth. I think at that age is more about drawing things for them letting them watch you maybe "help" you putting there hands on your etc....not giving them control of the marker etc.....that way in time by watching they will learn.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• well they are not gonna stop til they grow out of it so if it bothers you that bad throw them out and not let them do it or use colored pencils or go get the kids safe ones
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You either DONT let them use them, and keep them OUT of reach, or you SUPERVISE your child while using them and still keep them WELL OUT of reach when they arnt being used. You can also take and pant the non used end's with hot sauce and Im SURE they WONT put them in their mouth's more than once after that.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• when my daughter ate her crayons i took them away and then i switched to the twist ups and that stopped it for me ..it is a normal thing to do just tell them its yucky!! that might work too
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 9, 2011