What ARE god parents?

What are they? What are they for? Do they have any special role in the childs life? I'm just wondering cuz my hubby wants our friends to be the god parents of our son which I'm fine with, but what exactly does it mean?

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 7:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Relationships

• God parents are usually choosen by the parents that if something God forbid happend to the parents then the God parents would take the children and raise them giving them a wonderful life. We have God parents which is a best friend of mine from middle and high school. Sadly though he is in Iraq right now
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 7:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• God parents are people who are their for your children if like everyone in your family dies. or they have no where else to go if you guys die. im not sure what they do in their life otherwise haha. just be there, get to know them, babysit! lol.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• God Parents are supposed to look after your child but more importantly the spiritual life of your child. Promise to see that they still attend church etc. It is more a religious thing rather than a someone to watch over me thing. I think now days however people have them for very different reasons.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I would make sure they had the same religion beliefs that was important to me that my kids be raised catholic and that they are stable and dont do drugs or move around a lot i made sure my kids god parents were mature and not selfish and loving but I am sure you will pick great people good luck

Anonymous