Have you ever taken melotonin

last night I couldn't sleep and took 6mg.
Today woke up and got kids to school but was still tired and thought a quik nap would help and thought I had slept until maybe noon? so I look at the clock and it was well after 2pm! I had to be at the school at 3 to pick up the kids. I was feeling withdrawn for a few hours after that also

Is melotonin supposed to make a person sleep so much and give a withdrawn spacey feeling?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 9:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Health

• I have never had that happen with Melatonin. I like to take it because I dont have any side effects with it.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 11:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I have never had that happen to me when I have taken it. Maybe you should only take half that dose next time.
    mom23ks

Answer by mom23ks at 9:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Melatonin is natural, it's what your brain is supposed to make anyway. 6mg is kind of a lot if you're not used to it. Typically you have to take it nightly for a couple of weeks before your body gets accustomed to it and it works like it should. I've never felt like that after taking melatonin, but I do feel like that if I take other things like tylenol pm. If you want to keep trying it, go down to 3 or 1.5 mg, and take it nightly - just once in a while isn't going to do anything for you.
    Anonymous

• I take Volarian root if I cant sleep. The ancient Romans used it and it's a natural Valium to help you sleep. Get it at Walgreens and GNC
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Melotonin helps you sleep? Good to know. No script required?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Valerion root does nothing for me... I can pop 4 of those and ..nothing...I can drink the tea and .. nothing

so maybe I should go with a smaller dose?
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I have used it before and never had that type reaction to it. Try only taking it at night and only half. I drink Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea whenever I have trouble sleeping, maybe try that instead.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i take it everynight b/c it also lowers blood preasure ~ but ionly take 1mg.
    BoundHearts

Answer by BoundHearts at 9:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• They are both very addictive, just because something is 'natural' doesn't make it good.

Valarian is very physically addictive, we're talking withdrawal symptoms that involve the shakes and the whole 9 yards.

I know someone that ended up in the hospital from taking these natural herbs, and another friend who took valarian, got in the car and ended up in a ditch.
    This stuff is NOT to be taken lightly.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I can't imagine valerion being addictive but everyone has a different reaction, just like it does nothing for me but for others they find it just wonderful.
    I do like the sleepytime teas and double the tea bag in my cup when I do drink it.
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2011