I'm NOT for CIO.. however you are the parent. My question is, what do YOU think is a suitable age to begin the whole"its bed time lay down go to sleep and you arent able to come out of your room..its bedtime" thing?

I think... 3?

OR based upon the childs development to be able to comprehend that it is bedtime.

I think under that, theyre not going to grasp the concept.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I let my older daughter cry it out at 22 months, it took one night of crying for 20 minutes with me checking on her of course and telling her to go to sleep. She was able to say "I don't want to sleep I want to play'" so I knew she was just crying because she didn't want to go to sleep. The next two nights she whined for about 5 minutes from then on she started going to bed on her own with no problems. I am pretty liberal about her actually going to sleep though she is allowed to get out of bed and play after I leave the room. I do think it is a developmental thing though because I don't think my 18 month old will be ready to go to bed on her own in the next few months we'll probably wait until 2 or 2 and half.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• See i was told by my sons Pediatric that when they are newborns and waking up in the middle of the night, have a dim light on so u can feed, and change, but never talk to them. Do what u have to do and lay them back down and walk out so they get the hint it is bed time and not time for play.
    But for ur debate i always tell my 3 year old son it is bed time, and if i here u talking, jumping, or getting out of bed, ur blankie, or cheetah or dog will go away for the night. (those are his comfort things) If your not tiered then u don't need them. He never wants those taken away so he ends up going to bed.
    But i would say the age for that is 2
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 9:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I did that also with my daughter, if she woke up during a npa id do whatever she needed and leave her be and shed fall back asleep. BUT if she continued to cry and cry , it means she needs osmething else. whether a change, bottle, hot cold or just mothers comfort. Id go and help her.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• my first baby I started at 4 months...I set a routine and would lay her down after her bedtime bottle, she would cry and every 5 minutes I would rub her back and repeat this and after 3 days she was used to this routine and would fall right to sleep when she laid down to the tune off her mobile.
    all the other kids were rocked to sleep and then as they grew they were just read a story to and there was never anything hard about putting them to bed. They just had a routine and had bright night lights.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 9:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I really started go to/stay in bed with my kids around 2ish when they moved out of their crib. My son, who's 7, has figured out that if he goes to bed and closes his door to keep the cats out he can lay in bed for hours and read books. My daughter, who's 4 we're still having real problems with getting her to stay in bed. They both KNOW that they have to stay in bed and go to sleep, they just don't.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• @wherethewayout...... That isn't crying it out though. That is how it should be done! im tlaking putting them down and just letting them cry and cry until they cry themselves to sleep.
    bravo for what you did! thats awesome!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Lord...I co-slept until my first was 2.5 and my second was 1, now they sleep together in their own room. From about the time my second was 18 months, I've enforced bedtime. There is no getting up and coming out. I think the longer you let it go on, the longer it takes to break the habit.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• All three of my children slept in their cribs by the time they were too big for the bassinette. By about 2 months. They were good sleepers. They only had trouble sleeping if they had a really bad cold and stuffy noses but that didn't happen very often. Our whole family slept well.
    I have no idea how you will be able to convince a 2 or 3 year old to sleep in their own bed. By then,they are pretty stubborn.I guess you will have t let them know that YOU are in charge and that they WILL sleep in their own bed. But be prepared for some fussing. Good luck!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I dont think anyone is understanding my quesiton LOl

im not saying slep with your child and then at 3 they sleep in their own. im asking

What age is appropriate to tell your child, or make them lay down and go to sleep. if you cry then you continue to if you dont want to lay down too bad ull stay there until you fall asleep.

THAT is CIO .... not the soothing or comforting then going out of the room. but Putting them wherever they may be sleeping that night and having them stay there for hours.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I understood, and that is what I meant. Once they were in their own room in our house, that was it. Cry if you want, but it is bedtime. No coming out, no coddling...bed. They might have fussed for a couple minutes and that was it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:39 PM on Apr. 8, 2011