I accidentally fed my baby (3 weeks) formula that had sat out for four hours! Just an ounce...ugh what should i do?

formula mistake...help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I bet you're fine. How is the baby acting? You could the doctor to set your mind at ease. They are used to getting calls like that. I know I called with a few things along those lines those first few weeks. Youcould even the 800 number on the formula can and see what they say.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I did that once when my son was 3 wks too. I fed him and after I put him down I passed out from exhaustion. I slept so hard that when he woke up I thought it was fifteen minutes later (he had been sleeping in 15 min increments that whole/day night which is whay I was so tired) Well after i fed him with the bottle I thought was 30 min old, I put him back down I looked at the clock and realized it had been four hours. I was worried too but he ended up being okay. That stuff isn't really dairy but even milk won't curdle in 4 hours. Just burp him/her good when they're up and feeding again. My baby is almost 13 now - he survived!
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 8:49 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• At the hospital where my dd was born, i was told by the nurses there that its ok to give formula if its been out for up to 4 to 5 hours. SO i think your ok.
    becca2715

Answer by becca2715 at 8:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• The baby is fine. I did this too, with my firstborn and thought I had poisoned her. Don't worry.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• While its definitely not a practice I agree with, my cousin has kept a bottle in her room all night to give to her son when he woke up...if she did this routinely to her baby who was happy and healthy, I'm sure your one time blooper isn't going to hurt your baby. Nothing compares to a mothers worry though!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• It's how some of us old folks used to do it back in the day. We'd take a bottle out of the refrigerator and let it sit until it came to room temp hours later. It never hurt any of my children. In this heat though I probably should have asked if you had a/c in the house? I had a/c so it never got really hot in the house to cause problems.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2008