Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Does anyone know how unemployment works in Michigan?

I got fired from my last job when I found out the attorney I was working for was forging dr's scrips. But I was only there for 2 months. Didn't work the three months before that but had a job for a year and half before the 3 months of not working. What are the requirements to receive it? I'm sure I won't be on it for long, but would like something to bridge the gap between jobs.

Answer Question

Asked by marihand at 9:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 7 (159 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I think you can collect a whistle blower fee for turning in that attorney. Have you looked into that or has he already been arrested?

    Answer by jewjewbee at 9:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • They don't necessarily look at what your income is from you last job, but whether your income was enough in the last 4 or 5 quarters to establish a "base year". If you go online, they will ask you for your income information over the last several quarters along with a lot of other questions, then they will tell you if you are eligible and send you a letter about your benefit amount if you qualify. It sounds like your former employer would be the primary employer in your base period.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • If u have proof your ex-employer's forging u will have to show that to them, cause I guarantee they will deny it. If u do absoulte physical proof of your ex-employer forging, go to your FBI's nearest office to show thenm what u have.

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • Qualifying requirements
    The UIA will look at your standard base period to determine if your earnings qualify you for unemployment benefits. The standard base period includes the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters prior to when you filed your claim. The four calendar quarters in a year are: January – March, April – June, July – September and October – December.
    If you cannot qualify based on your standard base period, the UIA will check your earnings in the “alternate” base period, which is the four most recently completed calendar quarters.
    There are two ways in which your earnings may qualify you for unemployment benefits:
    “Regular” qualifying method: (a) For benefit years beginning January 4, 2009, and after, you must have wages in at least two quarters in your base period. In one quarter, your wages must be at least $2,871;>>>>>>>>>

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • ($2,871 x 1.5 = $4,306.50) #2....OR • Alternate Earnings Qualifier (AEQ): (a) You must have wages in at least two quarters; and (b) total wages for all four quarters must equal at least 20 times the state average weekly wage (SAWW). For 2009, the AEQ amount is $16,695.80. [20 x $834.79 (SAWW) = $16,695.80] Eligibility requirements To be eligible for unemployment benefits, you must be unemployed and able to, available for, and actively seeking suitable full-time work. Unless instructed otherwise by UIA staff, you must also register for work within two to three business days of applying for benefits by filing your resume with the Michigan Talent Bank and by reporting to your local Michigan Works! Agency service center



    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.