My friend want me to register his car..

So he can drive it. What would happen if he got pulled over or whatever. It doesn't sound like a great idea. What do you think?

LoLLiPoPm0m

Asked by LoLLiPoPm0m at 9:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• BAD IDEA!

The only reason he wants you to register it is because he can't for whatever reason. Not something you should involve yourself with. You are liable for any damage that car does. If he goes out and sideswipes 15 cars, you are liable to pay the damages if your name is on the registration. If he goes out and gets 100 parking tickets, you are liable to pay them off. ANYTHING he does with that car, you are responsible for if you register it. BAD BAD BAD idea!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Why can't your friend register his own car? Not something I woud do for anyone I know. I'm not sure what all the legal repercussions could be but I wouldn't take the chance.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If he gets into an accident and the car is in YOUR name YOUR screwed! YOUR responsible for any and ALL damage the car does. DONT register it for him!!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• yeah, it sounds pretty sketchy. I've never even thought twice about registering my own vehicle...i don't know why he wouldn't do it himself unless there is something wrong. And vbruno is right...you WILL be responsible for any and all actions with that car. It could lead to some serious issues later.
    bauerlove

Answer by bauerlove at 10:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Not a good idea at all. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a car that someone else was driving.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• confusedwhat do you mean register?  what does he need to do?  please explain a little more in detail.

brieri

Answer by brieri at 10:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Not a good idea. Loaning your name for someone or co-signing anything for anyone is ALWAYS A BAD IDEA.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• no way would i do this at all! Has he told you why? to me it wouldn't matter why but maybe there has to be a legal reason he can't do it himself maybe he don't have insurance or a DL I would say no way.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• This person is NOT a friend...

Answer by rkoloms at 12:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I do not understand.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2011