Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

OOoooo I'm So freaking mad!!

I work at a sheltered work center for MR/DD adults. We have a group home that comes in to work that is not part of our company. There are a mix of ihgher and lower functioning people in that home. There is one man in particular that is a little bit more difficult and time consuming, but you really just have to know how to interact with him. Today his supervisor came up to me and handed me a can of chicken noodle soup and said that was what the group home sent him for lunch!! I was like what?? It wasn't even one of the pre mixed just heat up and go cans. It was just a can of condensed chicken noodle soup and a bowl. So I made his soup and started talking to his housemates. They informed me that staff packed their lunches that day. And everyone else but this one man had ramen noodles (just stick in the microwave) a sandwhich and some fruit!!! It took everything I had not to call the group home and just start yelling at them. I could not ebelive it. I emailed the group home manager and her boss and told them about the situation. I don't think they treat this man right anyways. There have been times that have literally dropped him off screaming and crying, and they just walk him to the door and leave! I really hope some people in this home get fired. I don't have a question..just really pissed off and need to vent

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • You can report them to your local state agency for elder abuse ya know. They CANT treat ANYONE like that legally. They do it anyways thinking everyone is to stupid to complaine to the right people. If your local agency WONT do anything CALL the States Attorney who WILL do something about it, and if the SA wont CALL your local news!!!!

    Answer by vbruno at 9:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • I have worked with a lot of group homes . . . . and i completely understand your frustration!!! It is absolutely crazy what goes on. If you think the conditions are really bad, you always have the option of calling the Ombudsman and making a report . . .

    Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • This makes me so sad. where are these people's family, their advocates?

    Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • I talked to my boss about it and it doesn't really qualify as a reportable incident because they did send him food. But if it gets any worse then we are going to report them. We just have a lot of issues with this home in general. They won't bring someone in and don't call or anything, btu they're telling their boss that they do call us, so it turns into a big he-said she said thing. Honestly I think everyone in that home needs fired and they need to just start over with staff.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • That is so sad. I think it's good that he has someone that's concerned about him, (you), but it's unfortunate that those in charge of his care aren't. Things like this just break my heart. :(

    Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

  • That is sad. All those people should be treated equally. Sometimes I think the wrong people work with the adult MR/DD and they hire people that really don't care about how the individuals are treated. That's what's sad. What's even worse is when those employees abuse these people and think that they can get away with it. I have a son with Down's Syndrome and scares me to death to think of what could happen to him when the times comes that he may need to go in a group home. They need better screening tools to determine who will be best with people like this. It's nice to know that there is someone out there that is looking out for them. I do commend you on that. Keep up the good work!

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

  • :(

    Answer by tspillane at 8:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

  • amessageofhope 7 --- I don't think most people realize, but even if your son currently has a case manager and services, you can fire them all. Same way with a group home . If you don't like it, then you pull your son out and chose a different provider. Most people think they just have to stick with what is their county, but you don't. (you might already know this, just FYI).

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.