I am worried about my DD speech development at 13 months.

My DD was saying mama and dada by 8 months.

Now at 13 months she doesn't say those words anymore. She will say "up", "no' and once or twice even "elmo" but it is extremely rare and extremely inconsistent. I am not even sure she identifies meaning to any of those words yet. She babbles ALL the time but refuses to speak now.

She has 2 pediatricians who see her. One thinks we should take her to a neurologist since she used to talk and now has all but stopped and the other thinks she'll outgrow it.

I wasn't worried until the doc suggested a neurologist. Now I am officially freaking out.

Has anyone had this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

lin6278

Asked by lin6278 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not sure what advice to offer, but I will tell you this...my son started saying "mama" and "dada" at about 8 months. At 9 months, he stopped for the most part. A couple of months later he started right back up again, with other words as well. I was a little worried too, but he was fine. However, trust your instincts. If you're concerned, follow the doctor's advice and see the neurologist. However, try not to worry too much. He could just not feel like talking right now. I wish you the best of luck, hon.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I was always told that as long as they associate a word/noise with something it's to be considered a word. Example: If she sees a dog then points to it and makes a noise, and does it consistently then it's to be considered a word.

MOST kids won't really talk until they're closer to two years old. Have you tried teaching her some sign language?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Has she stopped talking completely? Or she's stopped saying certain words and started saying new ones? Because those are 2 completely different scenarios. If she was talking and progressing, and has all of a sudden stopped completely, or started backtracking, then yeah I would say neurology is needed. However, if she was only saying mama and dada then she stopped but started saying elmo, no, up, etc. then she's still "talking" and still developing, and I don't see any reason for concern at all. Children with neurological disorders that cause them to make "normal" progress, then suddenly digress, don't just stop saying some words and develop other new ones. They stop progressing completely and then begin to loose the skills they had previously possessed. And at 13 months it's not horrible that she hasn't made connections from the word to the object. The first language milestone recognized by education professionals is 18 months
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Addition: Children get the gross motor skills for basic sign language at 8 months old. They won't really talk until they're around two. What better way to facilitate communication in between?

Sorry, I took a few ASL classes while I was in college, maybe some day I'll go back and finish and become an interpreter. Promoting Signing is kind of one of my passions.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My DS did the same thing. Right around that age he decided he didn't feel like using his words anymore and just grunted and whined for everything. At about 18 months he decided he wanted to give it another go and now he won't stop talking! One day I refused to answer to his grunts so he yelled loud and clear "BITE". It seemed liked he said a new word every week after that. I wouldn't worry just yet, but if her pediatrician recommends seeing a specialist I would probably go ahead with it. If nothing else it can put your minds at ease.
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My grandson did that. We worried it was autism but turned out it was his ears. See an ENT if the neurologist doesn't work out

Answer by admckenzie at 10:10 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• No problem with the passion for sign..I took a year in college and loved it. Lost the skill without people to talk to though :(

She still says hi and no on rare occasions but that has been it for a while. Other than that it is simply babbling.
    lin6278

Comment by lin6278 (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You are doing the right thing by taking her to the doctor and the second option. Take her to the neurologist and in the mean time, remember that even babble is language development. Keeping taking to her and reading to her, all children learn at a different rates. Taking toys such as books that read to her, musical toys and computer/video games for babies (yes they make them) can also promote language development.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• she is 13 months don't panic every child learns at a different pace.. just keep talking to her & she'll talk back when ready. my 22 month old say about 15 words only..meanwhile my oldest at his age talked like a adult.. IL has a state free program that evaluates kids under 3 if they need help they will go to your home or the child's daycare call your local school, & hospital to see if your state has something like that.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011