MY 2 YR OLD VOMITTED YESTERDAY AND HAS HAD DIARRHEA FOR 2 DAYS. HAD 1/2 CUP OF WATER AND FELL ASLEEP. SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT DEHYDRATION?

giac

Asked by giac at 10:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Dehydration is always a concern and risk when they have those symptoms. You can try offering him/her Pedialyte. It helps to prevent dehydration by balancing their electrolytes. However, it's a always a good idea to call the doctor. Since they're losing a lot of fluids, a 1/2 cup of water may very well not be nearly enough.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• pedialyte or gatorade is better than water.. also have the child eat light foods nothing oily, nothing with milk just until he/or she feels better.. if this continues see a doctor
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• absolutely you should....my daughter was just hospitalized for this...she's 2 1/2...the reason she was vomiting is b/c she had a virus in her lungs and her abnormal breathing is what was making her vomit. I would have her checked out. You never know what could be going on.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I would try to wake your child up periodically tonight to get at least half a cup of fluid down each time...maybe every 2 hours?

I know when my brother was going through chemo I did this around the clock for a long while to prevent dehydration when he was so sick from it. It was miserable, but far better than the consequences. Don't try to give large amounts because it could come right back up/out, but be regular about it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• When they are vomiting like that, I was told to give them an ounce of water every 20-30 minutes, and that will help.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Keep pushing the pedialyte even if it's just a teaspoon full @ a time. I like to use the med cup, so it doesn't look like a lot to the kids..
    Heartshape

Answer by Heartshape at 1:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• yes they can get dehydrated fast and 1/2 cup of water isn't much.
    pedialyte should be given it helps better than water w/ those symptoms. mer personally if he doesn't start drinking more or pedialyte i'd take him in if he keeps throwing up and all. they may need to put an iv in him/her :( good luck
    Mommy2Teagan

Answer by Mommy2Teagan at 9:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Gatorade, pedialite to prevent
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• pedialyte or gatorade is good to give also wake him up every hour or so just to be certain; but I would still call the doctor
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:29 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• well I had the same thing I just went to the tub for a little of time and it went away well this is all goodby
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2011