No Poo? 8 mo has constipation...

My 8 month old has been constipated for almost 3 months now! He was EBF for the first 6 months and the constipation started a month before I switched him to formula. I've talked to his Dr, Ive even called the peds hotline and was told both times to give more water or juice. He will not take water or watered down juice even out of a bottle, he's on soy formula because he had a milk proteine allergy when he was born but he's over it now. I asked his Dr if it could be the soy formula but she told me no.

Betty_Blood810

Asked by Betty_Blood810 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG porro little guy. the prune baby food. They should have told you that right away....or the baby prune juice, but since you said he won't drink the juice try the baby food. It's a bit sweeter so he'll probably eat it right up. Maybe start with 1/2 a container first and see how that works. Otherwise he might blow out his diaper.

Good Luck!
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My mom always and my great grandma always used dark corn syrup cause it has been a folk remedy for constipation for hundreds of years. My mom told me to use it on my dd. I found out cause it contains complex sugar proteins that keep water in the bowel movement. However, I have found a few current types of dark corn syrup may not contain these sugar proteins, so the syrup may not be helpful, but the light corn syrup is not at all helpful.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Use the lowest dose initially; you can increase the amount up to a total of one teaspoon per four ounces of formula until he has a daily bowel movement. After his BM become soft and more frequent, you can slowly stop the corn syrup.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Omgoodness! Poor guy. Try buying some prune baby food. If you can, have him drink 2 oz of prune juice mixed with 2 oz of apple juice and warm it up. My dd would suck it down but hated any other juice. Also, if it doesn't help him go, you can always use a suppository. They make them for little kids/ babies and you can buy them at walgreens. Have you tried a warm bath while massaging his tummy? Or taking his temp rectally? Those were all things that we did that worked.... Good luck mama!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• What are his specific symptoms? What is the frequency of bowel movements? What is the consistency of the stool? Is there any pattern that you notice? What is his diet?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Just curious, you say this started a month before you switched. At that point, was he still EBF, or were you doing some formula to transition?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• my son was constipated and I gave him karo syrup in his formula and it worked also there are supausitories ( dont know how to spell it) the doc isnt concerned about this awww poor baby I would go to another doc or demand for something to either make him go or at least findout why hes not I hope things get better good luck
    mom0510

Answer by mom0510 at 12:30 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Prune juice is best and they Karo syrup is the worst thing you can give that is full of sugar totally. Talk to your dr as well my son drank apple juice and that helped a lot.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 1:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I have tried karo and apple prune juice he won't drink it I've been watering down his formula to give him more water. N
    . I haven't been able to find any prune baby food. He was. EBF the whole first month he was constipated but I was drinking soy milk because his allergy and he would have a bm every 3-4 days and now he has a bm 0-1 times a day. Suppositories aren't good for prolonged use. I have been given him syllium husk now and thats why he goes every other day at least. But the first stool out is hard and the following will be much softer and it's usually dark and green. He strains really hard when he's trying to go and I always have to help him by pushing his knees to his stomach. I have also tried warm bath and massage.
    Betty_Blood810

Comment by Betty_Blood810 (original poster) at 2:08 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Its horrible to deal with that. Mydaughter has had pooping problems since she was born. Nothing worked i tried prune juice apple juice everything. This is gross but it worked my doctor told me analy stimulate her. You get like a Qtip and vaseline and just put the tip in dont twist or anything. I had to do it every day but it works and get them out of pain
    jadesmommy2010

Answer by jadesmommy2010 at 5:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2011