Obama to blame for change in directive regarding military pay.

During the Reagan administration a directive (OMB Circular A-11) was issued to the OMB declaring military personnel to be "essential." The directive has been a standard with all other administrations...until now. Why did Obama change the directive (OMB M-11-13)...declaring military to be "non-essential?"

Are you okay wth our military being considered "non-essential?"

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 10:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am utterly speechless. I cannot wrap my head around the idea that ANYONE would ever deem the military non-essential, even for the chance for political gain.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• He is playing politics using our troops, hoping people with blame the republicans.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Yeah, well, if someone doesn't directly assist Barry, he considers them non essential! Why do you think our country is in such a mess? Of course the military is essential! That's one of the most disgusting things I've heard him do yet! So sorry to hear that.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• They have sunk to a new low. I just hope it backfires on them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• They are considered non-essential yet THEY are the ones fighting the war for our country? Our soldiers deserve much more respect than that!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If the continue and do the shutdown they are going to hurt us more then help us. No matter what they are losing money. They are making us suffer for their poor decisions. They are turning their backs to those who protect them while congress part of government gets to keep their pay! which is not fair cause they make like 90% more then the average american soldier does. I can't wait to vote them out!
    charmd18

Answer by charmd18 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

Just when you think they can't sink any lower, they prove us wrong. So sad, but not surprising
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 12:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I just got home from shopping and I'm seeing all of my friends freaking out because their hubby's pay is being suspended ... I'm finding this really ridiculous ... of course their essential what the hell?
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• This has been bugging the crap out of me. My husband had to address his troops a couple of weeks or so ago regarding the military pay hoopla. The message he was ordered to give...RELAX...military is considered "essential" there will be no disruption in pay. Then on April 7 Obama changes the rules.

Has he lost his mind? Does he actually expect our troops to be in combat while the table is bare and the car is getting repossessed back home? A very large number of our military force receives pay that puts their family BELOW the poverty level. Are people really believing our president cares about the poor when he is willing to do something like this?

Frankly, I find it appalling. I can promise you I will not forget the name of a single one of our leaders that had their hands in this stinky little pie.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• kaylan...as of Obama's directive on April 8 they are NOT essential. This is why the LES's are reflecting a 50% wage cut for the April 15 pay check.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011