Have you ever cut ties with a friend who you considered family?

I've been friends with this woman for nearly 15 years, I'm 25 now so we've been friends more than half our lives. Her kids call me auntie and mine call her the same; the kids also refer to each other as cousins and are just as close as any family. The problem is she is a flake so to speak; she's lied, betrayed and blown me off more than a few times. I believe she has good intentions and sometimes does things despite me telling her not to because she thinks it'll be better in the end; but there's just so many times a person can be hurt before it gets to be too much.

Today she called me to see if me and my kids wanted to sleep over at her place, she needs someone to watch her oldest for a few hours and then we had made plans to spend the day together so the kids can play while she and I hang out. Around 11 AM the call disconnected while we were talking, I tried calling back but the call wouldn't connect so I sent her a text. It's now 10:30 at night and she hasn't called or replied to my text. My kids were upset because they love spending time with her and the kids and were told we'd be staying there tonight but now its too late, the kids are in bed and she never even bothered to let me know if she found someone else to watch her daughter in the morning. What I hate is when my kids look at me and ask why auntie hasn't called and ask why we aren't going over there now.

My friend has not always been like this and there are times when we'll go months where we talk almost every day, spend almost every weekend at her house, or mine, or going somewhere fun for the kids. Those are the times, that is the friend, I don't want to lose. I still consider her my sister, she may piss me off at times but so doesn't everyone else in my family. I also don't want to lose the relationship I have with her kids and I know she loves my kids just as much as I love hers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, I have, but it's a long story. I hope you and your friend are able to resolve whatever's going on.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 11:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Last year, I ended a friendship with a woman that I've been friends with since 5th grade. I'm 23 now. I ended our friendship bc it was a one way friendship basically. I did everything I could to keep our friendship together and alive, but I was basically used. She got into drugs, got with the wrong guy, hung out with people that didn't do the best things. When we hung out, it always ended up that I was being put in bad situations that I didn't know about until I was in the mid of it . The last straw was when he grabbed my dates private parts when we were at a club. I confronted her about it and she lied by saying it didn't happen when I saw it wiht my own eyes. I still miss her very much, but she got mad at me for confronting her & it ended badly. What really broke us was when she called my son's father thats trying to get sole custody & told him lies about me. I miss her a lot, but I will never talk to her again.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 3:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Yes I have, and it's pretty hard as I still think about her often. We have been friends since we were 5 years old. Spent every weekend/summer together. When we grew up though, we both changed. We were friends after adulthood but about a year ago she did something I can never forgive or understand and I cut ties with her completely. I feel horrible sometimes because I miss her so much but I know now that she isn't someone I want my child to be around now. She's not the same person she was 17yrs ago.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 10:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Yes it was hard but she frirted with my man
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Have a bonding more often with her. Just the two of you, so that you will know what are the situations happened. Give your heart out.
    Sew-sun

Answer by Sew-sun at 10:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• well keep calling her again until she anwers and if she dont well go over there to see what is happening thats all you have to do you dont know if she sick or in a hosital check and see whats up with her well get closeer to god
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 13, 2011