What type of relationship do you have or did you have with your mother?

Would you consider the relationship a positive one? Rocky? None at all? How do you feel it has tied in with your parenting and parenting style?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• My mom raised me by herself, despite being Epileptic most of her life,and all of mine. I'm an only child, and she's my best friend. She lives with us now, since her health has declined even more in the last few years.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I had a horrible relationship with my mother growing up...like verging on abusive. But since i've married and had children we've reconciled and she's my best friend. And i believe that i'm a better mother because of it. I don't think i would appreciate children as much if i hadn't know what it was like to not be appreciated myself.
    bauerlove

Answer by bauerlove at 10:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• not at all 100%
    southernchick11

Answer by southernchick11 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• bauerlove, that is so sweet. You almost made me well up....almost! lol That's very insightful.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:46 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• southernchick... I'm sorry I don't understand.???
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I am an only child and my mom had me at 16. I grew up with my mom being my best friend. I was a good kid so she never had to discipline me. She is still my best friend and we talk about everything together.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My mother and I are really close. It has been rocky at times but she is my best friend and idk what I'd do without her!!

tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 10:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Teenage yrs were dicey of course, early 20's were kinda rough cause I had to "find" myself whiuch of course included drugs, late nights ect...Then something happened with her and we ended up going out to bars and such drinking having a blast a few other things that I am sure a of the rude "anons" would condemn her for. One example being accidently sleeping with the same man we both dated, was a few months in between. No the guy didn't know untill he saw us one night. In a word...."PRICELESS!!!!!!" Funny funny story!!! So many memories..........all in all, great relationship.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I have a really close relationship with my mother, I have never disrespected her,lied to her and I have always been there for her when she needed me, and she has shown me the same treatment,love and respect!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My mom passed when I was really young and I never really knew her. I do think that's definitely affected my relationship my kids. I think it's why I tend to be a little overprotective with them. I had to be my own mom a lot of the time, and I always craved that sort of stereotypical motherly over-solicitousness. I always felt like I was missing out on all the things my friends did with their moms, even something as simple as a kiss goodbye or a note in a lunchbox. I never wanted my kids to feel that way. I think that I have the sort of relationship with them that I would have wanted with my mother, and in a way, I think I owe my mother's absence to how close I am with my kids, at least in part. It has certainly ensured that I'll never take motherhood for granted.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2011