How do you tell the difference between real contractions and Braxton Hicks ones?

Hi all;

I'm due any day now, my due date is April 20th and I want to know:

How do you tell the difference between Braxton-Hicks contractions and real contractions?

Also:

My "contractions" seem more annoying than painful, is this normal?

Thank you for your time and patience.

yolin_star

Asked by yolin_star at 10:44 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Real contractions won't go away with a warm shower, or laying on your left side. Braxton hicks will. Also, real contractions will get stronger and closer together. Once you can't stand or ta through them, head to the hospital!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Talk^
    BabyBugsmama

• I was always the opposite, my real contractions would stop if I just layed down for a bit and my Braxton-Hicks would go away only if I got up and walked around. My real contractions did usually get stronger and closer together though. If this is your first baby you have a good chance of knowing for sure it is real labor before you are anywhere close to pushing time. The average first time labor lasts usually around 18 hours. (so Ive read) But if they are just a mild annoyance they are probably Braxton-Hicks. If they start off as annoying and eventually start to get painful then you should make a trip to the hospital. Or of course if they are accompanied by a gush or steady leak of fluid. GL :)
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i was told that if you laid on your left side, drank lots of water, or/and take a nice warm shower that if itll go away than its braxton hicks
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2011