PO'ed for the military families...and questions regarding your benefits.

I have been upset to read that so many families are going to have to worry about a paycheck while being forced to continue working, but a story on tonight's news really P*SS*D me OFF!

A soldier in the USMC from our state was reported to have been killed in the line of duty.

And let me get this right...they're only paying one of the weeks from this paycheck? Yeah. That really REALLY burned my @$$!!! Sorry for some of the language ladies, but I mean my lord.

It led me to the question, what will happen with his benefits? Will his family receive death benefits and pensions like they should? Or is that delayed if the government shuts down. I cannot imagine the thought of burying my spouse and worrying about how I was going to feed our family at the same time. It is just atrocious.

And what about health benefits for military families? This incident aside, will that continue? I saw a sign at my OB's office today that had a list of different insurances and said "if you have one of these plans, we need to talk with you TODAY." and I wondered if that was related.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:53 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• WOW!!! I really feel for them. They are fighting for us, yet the government has the NEVER to even consider doing this to them
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I heard they are denying death benefits to families. If it's true, that is a new level of disrespect. First soldiers are non-essential, now they (if it's true) are not giving death benefits to the families of those soldiers who died defending THIS country? I'd love to see the congressmen do something so noble.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Death gratuity will be delayed. It's the money they get within 24 hours, to take care of immediate necessities. They will get it, just not now. Also, I think their bank accounts are frozen. Not positive on that though. ALL pay is affected. Deployed, stateside, even those that are KIA. Yes, and the ones that can't do their f*cking jobs are still getting their pay, because they need it. Like we don't?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If it were any other "employer" I would be suing the shit out of them for breaking a host of employment laws, and pain and suffering. I haven't been this furious about something in a while. Hearing that his family lost their husband/father/son/brother etc and has to figure out how to bury him and survive without the benefits that they signed up for, with practically no warning. I just feel awful for the family.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Death benefits will be delayed as well. They pay around 150 death benefits per month.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• crazy freekin world we live in. I don't have alot but if you find information about this family (name, city state) I would sure like to send something of a monetary amount to help them out
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 12:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• The family would still get the insurance but the death beinfit of usualy about 100,000 would be put on hold and they would get it later....but they said that they would geve them extra for having to wait.....Glad there is not going to be a shutdown as of now...I just hope something dosnt come up to cause all of this crazyness again.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2011