Three things...

Can you give me three things that I can change in my diet to help with weight loss?
I don't eat a lot of junk food, drink a lot of soda or sugared tea, nor do I eat a lot of fast food.
What things can I remove from my diet and what do I replace it with? Please be specific as 'eat organic' is a broad suggestion. I also don't want to go broke with this.

Yes, I know adding more exercise will help.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 11:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Eat sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes...white potatoes are simple carbs which basically converts to sugar. Sweet potatoes are complex carbs so they keep you fuller longer. Protein will keep you more full longer than carbs. Don't eat any bread, pasta, etc....unless it's whole wheat. I don't mean unbleached flour, I mean whole grain. Also you should be eating 5-6 small meals a day as it keeps your metabolism up. If you go more than 3 hours without eating, your body goes into starvation mode and will store fat. Drink TONS of water..I mean at least a gallon a day....most of what we carry is water weight. Try a protein shake at least once a day for one of your meals :) I think that's more than 3..hope it helps :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• If you're already eating the right foods, i think you should focus on eating at the right times and the right portions. Eating the right foods is actually pretty easy, its the other stuff thats hard.
    I think the hardest thing I've heard is to not eat until I'm full...I was raised to finish what was on my plate or i got spanked, so its hard for me to leave food uneaten. But..you should never eat until you get that "fat, dumb and happy" feelings (as my stepdad used to say), you shouldn't be hungry after, but sated. That, to me, is the hardest part to learn.
    Well, that and giving up my weakness, which is reeses eggs (darn easter time!)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:12 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• drink ice water. Eat a piece of fruit for a snack. Do not eat 2 hours before going to bed. These are so cliche, but they have worked for me. Good luck!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I had a lot of success with drinking lemon water or just water in general. Don't drown yourself but a lot is good, it flushes the system of toxins and harmful waste. It also is the "oil" to your digestive system which sometimes is the reason that people can't loose weight. your thirst pang is always the weakest, people often eat when they are really thirsty as a way to quench the craving they don't know they have. Also try taking fiber supplements right before your last meal of the day (Appx. 15 min before you eat) and it helps fill you up so that late night craving for ice cream (Or chocolate in my case) won't be as tempting.
    And as "whole Foods" you can get, the better. Non-processed foods like fresh carrots, lettuce, tomatos, preferably uncooked and unseasoned. The more you eat them and cut out the bad food, the more your body will crave them when it's hungry. I dropped all of my baby weight doing this
    bauerlove

Answer by bauerlove at 11:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Add fruits and veggies, and switch to lean proteins. That alone will make a huge difference, and getting enough fruits and veggies means you're too full to fill up on other junk.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• NEVER eat white starches of any kind.
    Watch out on labels for anything that says 'enriched'
    Drink water...lots and lots of water
    Mrsorr

Answer by Mrsorr at 2:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• switch to bread that has lower caalories like 35 or 40 calories per slice... aunt millies makes a few varieties. I also switched to light mayo and try to use mustard as a dip because it has like no calories. also switch to 2% cheese (fat free if you like it) good luck!!
    melissanovak

Answer by melissanovak at 8:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Stay clear of preseasoned meats, such as chicken breasts, roastes as they contain salt/sodium which will definately slow your weight loss. Read labels. GL.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• How is your veggie in take? you can eat things like celery, chickweed, grains, grapefruit, grapes/raisins, green beans, jicama, kumquat, lime, mushrooms, nettle, pasta, peppers, potatoes, seaweed. These will help with your weight loss. Good luck.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 11:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• and exercising. Hope it helps!!:)
    bauerlove

Answer by bauerlove at 11:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2011