Hair Color help!!

I dyed my hair black and its grown about a 1/4 of an inch but I want to go back to a lighter brown, what steps to get my hair back to brown and as healthy for my hair as possible! Thanks

staceybelly9

Asked by staceybelly9 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Youd either have to grow it out, or strip it somehow. Don't strip it yourself, id go to a salon.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:15 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Go see a professional. more than likely if you try to do it yourself, it will strip out and damage the hair.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Try Uncolor. It's a product salons use to remove/reduce haircolor. Below is one link but I'm sure you can shop around and find similar products/stores selling it.

http://www.folica.com/hair-color/hair-color-correction/clairol-the-uncolor-system-haircolor-remover

If that's doesn't help much, I would suggest dying your hair a dark brown all over - or doing a light/medium brown all over which would lighten the black part some but the roots would still be lighter, so you can touch up the root only with a slightly darker brown dye to match the root to the rest of the hair. Good luck!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• use blond it will light the black but make sure it is brights blond out there
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Please, corrective color isn't easy for the trained professional. It's not that easy, and the chemicals and stuff people are telling you to use could end up costing you more $$ in the long run. Please, go to a professional. I have seen people lose huge chunks of hair from using color removers, bleach, box color etc. I have seen it too light on the top, and nothing done to the bottom. I've seen unevenness, orange, etc. BTW you can't color over color, so using a lighter color isn't going to color. You have to remove the old color first.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• You'd have to bleach it or strip the color. If you put a lighter color on it, it won't touch the black. You could always do a soap cap, which I think is an older way of lifting dark haircolor but it's supposed to be less damaging. BTW... I've made the same mistake by coloring my hair black and I'm also in cosmetology school, so I do know what I'm talking about :)
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 12:09 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I've been doing hair for 6 years and have been an educator as well. A soapcap is color and shampoo mixed together to freshen up ends after a retouch. You can't soap cap to get lighter hair. If you are referring to a bleach wash or color balance, NO it is NOT safer than bleach. It still damages the hair.

If you are in cosmetology school, I don't think it is terribly wise to be telling someone they can do this themselves when you don't have the person in front of you, can't see the hair to analyze it. It's unprofessional and a huge no no for the industry you are embarking on for so many reasons.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:29 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Umm... ok so I wasn't trying to start an argument but we are likely from different places and call it different things. Color balancing is not what I'm talking about. I am talking about, what my instructors taught me, is called a soap cap or bleach bath. It is where you mix bleach with 10 or 20 vol developer and also with a little shampoo and conditioner. And YES, it may damage the hair, anything with bleach does and anyway to remove black hair color is going to... but, because you only leave it on for 5-10 mins and because you are using a lower vol developer and conditioner, it will NOT damage it as much. I didn't suggest going to a professional because 1. everyone else did and 2. not everyone can afford that. So, I'd appreciate not being bashed for something that I DO know what I'm talking about. I never said I was a professional... I am simply in training. I was just offering some advice.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 12:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• go to a professional!

BSumm3rs

Answer by BSumm3rs at 1:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• hahahaha...feel like a broken record sometimes.
    YOU CANNOT LIGHTEN HAIRCOLOR WITH HAIRCOLOR!!!!!!!!!
    oh and btw, not meaning to bash a beauty school STUDENT, but a working-behind-the-chair professional undoubtedly knows more than you do.
    and i top both of you with color experience (23+). heehee..no offense, musicmom!
    also, to suggest a soapcap or a color-removal product THAT PROFESSIONAL SALONS USE is the height of stupidity..the op obviously knows not what she is doing. she will damage her hair. the RIGHT TOOL in the WRONG HANDS is deadly...even if its just hair.
    geesh.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2011