Tantrums!!

My 13 month old daughter throws crazy tantrums throughout the day. She will be fine one minute, and the second that she doesn't get her way, a toy that she could choke one is taken away, or something changes she goes CRAZY!

She throws herself on the ground, kicks her legs, hits with her arms and screams for about a minute. As quickly as the tantrum starts, it ends. I never experienced this with my older son- so I am at a loss for what to do. I am afraid that she might hurt herself during one of her meltdowns.

Any advice on how to help Lily chill out and deal with daily changes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 11:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Even at that age, I took mine to their rooms when they would do that. We allow our kids to have fits if they need to... but the rule is they need to be in their own room for it. They could come back into the rest of the house when they were done. Kids don't have the same tools we do to deal with their frustrations so they have fits/tantrums. I always just said something to the effect of "I know you're frustrated but if you are gonna act like that because of it, you need to be in your room to do it" If they came out still having the fit, it was right back to the room until they were done. They got to the point that they would go to their room without me having to say anything if they felt a fit coming on. Thankfully they are/were not much for throwing fits.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 5:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Does your dd shows the same behavior with your DH?
    My dh was paying too much attention to my toddler's tantrums. DH kept trying to stop the tantrum which actually make it worse. So I asked my dh to ignore our toddler. Both parents need to be in-sync when it comes to addressing tantrums.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 11:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• They don't seem to be lassting long....remove items that she could bang against and walk out of the room without speaking or looking at her. Once she realizes no attention is coming it will stop. Be consistent and dont bribe ("here have THIS toy instead")
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 11:32 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I have an almost 3 yr old who does the same thing, annoying!! After the item/items are taken away and the explanation is given the tantrum is ignored. If she continues for more than a minute she it offered either to knock it off or go to time out, usually silence follows that choice. Def not feeinding into the tantrum is the best advice, they HATE being "ignored"!!
    mommymeg2002

Answer by mommymeg2002 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• IGNORE the tantrums. Kids tend to throw tantrums as attention getters. As long as there is nothing she can hurt herself on, let her throw the tantrum. Actually, at her age they are pretty normal...she doesn't now how to verbal express her feelings.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I am going through the same thing with my 22 year old. I've found the best thing to do is ignore him..... GL I know it's hard.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• my boys are 16 months and did that i used to ignore them and they eventually quit.
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 6:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2011