Verbal Apraxia? or a late talker?

I have three girls 5,3,2. My youngest 27 months is not talking. Says like two words "bye-bye and momma." My oldest two talked around a year old (one year level), but my youngest just babbles and has her own language. She seems to try to mimic what we say but just mostly different variations of "eh" and "ah" She has randomly said words, but only and few times. Like about a month ago my husband was all excited that she pointed to and apple in a book and said apple rather clearly. She has not said it since. It bothers him that she does not say much that resembles dah. She loves to try to talk on the phone. I guess in the lack of her speech she has become a very independent child. Also stubborn (my husband feels she isn't talking because of stubbornness). She has her own ways to get what she needs, either gets herself or leads us to what she wants and has hand gestures for a lot of things. She has her fair share of tantrums because we do not always know what she wants.

We did have her evaluated in Nov. by Early Intervention. At that time it was speech that was only lacking and said that her fine motor skill were slightly lower for her age, but not a lot. She was above average for gross motor skills. They told us if in 6-7 months she is still not talking to have her reeval. Well it has been about 6 months and still no progress. Should I worry or listen to the people telling me she is just taking her time and will talk. Or the people say my son didn't talk to three. Or is Apraxia something I should worry about. How would you know the difference? I just been reading some, and my husband is like, there is nothing wrong with her, I just feel there could be. She has had her share of medical issues.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to see a Neurologist to rule out Apraxia.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 11:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I didnt talk until I was three, according to my mom so i wouldnt stress over it! just keep teaching her and she WILL talk someday
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I thought with apraxia they 'clam up' and freeze (kind of). Not only are they delayed but easily stressed when asked to speak and then don't talk? Maybe I am thinking of something else. My oldest had a lot of signs for apraxia - still has a few.

I guess I honestly don't know. If you are concerned about, I would say trust your instincts. Get her checked out. I have never really been worried about our son (not as much as other people). He is slowly beginning to talk more and his speech is getting clearer and clearer. He is now five and still doesn't say some of his letter at the beginning of a word, but has progressed SO much! Follow your instincts!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:05 AM on Apr. 9, 2011