What is the advantage to your baby with an at home birth?

My sister had normal pregnency with both of her babies,they both ended up in the NICU, my nephew had phenoma and with my neice there bloods crossed, both were boring by c section. With my nephew they took him early because his fluid was low, because he was sick. How do I know my baby will be safe?

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 7:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Many c-section babies wind up in the NICU because of infections. It's believed that many of these infections are introduced to the baby durring labor and delivery from the many interventions doctors do.

A home birth is more gentle. The mother isn't poked and prodded. The midwife will use a doppler to check the heartbeat and might check dialation. That's it. The mother gets to hold and nurse the baby right away. Sometimes before the cord is cut or the placenta has been delivered. There are no drugs (drugs like pitocin and epidurals cause some of the complications that lead to c-sections).
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If the baby is sick when he/she is born you can tell. The doctors in hospitals can tell because of symptoms. The midwife and yourself will be able to spot those same symptoms. You can always take the baby to a doctor if something is wrong. You can always transfer if there is a complication.

In natural home childbirth 3% have true complications requiring serious (ie. hospital) medical intervention. 4% if the woman has had a previous c-section (each c-section raises it 1%).
    amethystrse

• A homebirth is less tramatic on a baby. No bright lights in his face, no abrupt movements, plus you baby is right there with you the entire time. and you get all the choices of what goes on, like Vitamin K injections, which the don't ask at the hospital, just give to him. Vitamin K can be given by mouth in liquid form up to 3 days after birth. and if there is something worng with the baby, the midwife knows all the signs to look for, and if there is they will rush YOU and the baby to the hospital. no seperation! Gosh i am just so happy you are considering a home birth. Trust your body and you M/W! GOOD LUCK
    Allisonmoymoy

Answer by Allisonmoymoy at 7:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2008