Heartburn & Vinegar

I have had the worst heartburn ever and tried everything to get rid of it, doctors prescribed me pepcid (didn't work) and prilosec (didn't work). For some reason I can not have heartburn all day and it hits me EVERY night, before I lay down, like when I am just sitting on the computer or something. So I looked up some things that could help get rid of it and came across vinegar. I drank some and it almost immediatly cured my heartburn. It says it's ok when you are pregnant and I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this? I mean, I would think vinegar would be waaay better for the baby than those medications...

kayaiden8907

Asked by kayaiden8907 at 12:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Mustard helps as well :) Its what I did...
    Also, heartburn can be worsened by laying all the way down. If you sleep slightly propped up, it should decrease the frequency.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I tried sleeping propped up and nothing stops this heartburn! I can sit straight up and it is still just as bad and I have no clue why! At night when I am trying to sleep, I will wake up choking because I think I have acid refulx too and it will shoot up my throat then go down my wind pipe! It's horrible! Vinegar seems to be working the best out of anything I have tried, but it doesn't last through the whole night :(
    kayaiden8907

Comment by kayaiden8907 (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I tried mustard it works
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:28 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It has to do with the acidity of the vinegar. I've always heard to use apple cider vinegar. The acid in the vinegar tricks your body into thinking it doesn't need to produce any stomach acid right now.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2011