Went to my gyno and I'm not sure to believe him

I went to my gyno because I think I am pregnant. This was about two weeks ago and at that point according to conception I would have been 11 weeks then, and the only thing he did was give me a urine test. He didn't do any kind of exam or ultrasound and I have PCOS and I have heard that women with PCOS sometimes don't create hCg levels like women without PCOS. So I have been feeling sick, getting headaches, my stomach is getting hard, and my breasts are tender and I just constantly feel bloated. With my PCOS my periods have always been irregular but I have never once gone over 3 months without a period and I did have sex with someone and he ejaculated inside, so I am concerned but my doctor just told me to take my birth control to jump start my period. So please help because I have never dealt with anything like this before and am thinking I should get another opinion from a different doctor?!?!

abm1204

Asked by abm1204 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If you don't believe your doctor, go to another and demand a blood test. Simple as that.
    The doctor might know big fancy words and all that, but the one thing he/she doesn't know is your body. If you strongly believe you're pregnant, do NOT take the birth control and seek a second opinion.
    Oh, and if he/she is in fact wrong, totally rub it in their face so maybe next time they will listen to the patient ;)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I would get another doctor who listens to your concerns. I had a terrible gyno before and had to switch.
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 12:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Did he draw blood work?

Also where did you hear that women with pcos do not creat HCG? If your body does not create HCG the baby and pregnancy would not continue.

If you had intercourse 11 weeks ago and it is still not showing I think you are most likely NOT pregnant and that your HORMONES ARE OFF!

You can seek a second opinion and ask for blood work...maybe an ultrasound but it does not sound like you are pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Agreed... you should definitely get a second opinion, no one knows your body better then you!!!! Without knowing you went to the doctor, reading you "symptoms" I wouls think there is a good chance you are preggers anyway! Go with your gut. Good Luck!
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Get a second opinion demand either a blood test or an ultrasound.
    whitetigerchic1

Answer by whitetigerchic1 at 12:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Also wanted to add that I KNOW lots of people including my step mother got positive tests at 4 and 5 weeks, about 2 or 3 weeks after ovulation like EVERY OTHER women on the planet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• No, he did not do blood work or anything. I didn't mean to make it sound like I wouldn't produce any hcg levels but I thought that after 6 or 7 weeks they go back down so it wouldn't show up on a urine test, and I told him that but he just said I'm fine and to keep taking my BC.
    abm1204

Comment by abm1204 (original poster) at 12:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I also have PCOS. I had to take Metformin to get pregnant with my son. It is more difficult to get pregnant with PCOS but it is possible because I am pregnant now and didn't have to take anything. Your doctor probably just knows that it is more difficult and thats why he's not concerned. I do believe though that there is a great possiblity that you could be pregnant if you're experiencing all of these symptoms and if I were you, I wouldn't take my BC until I knew for sure that I wasn't. I've never had trouble about getting an accurate pregnancy test but I think your doctor should have at least done some blood work. I'm pretty sure blood work shows if you're pregnant even with very vague traces of HcG. You should probably go to another doctor. Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 12:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I would go get a second opinion asap :) Good Luck
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:28 AM on Apr. 9, 2011