Whould you be a part of a religion which endorced beating a 2 week old baby?

Again, this was one of the allegations against the IFB "church" on tonight's 20/20. The woman that was claiming that SOME IFB pastors preached that children as young as 2 months needed to be hit or beat in order to break them of their will. And they even had audio clips of them preaching saying things like "if you aren't leaving bruises you aren't spanking enough" and "it could take 100 connections (meaning whacks with an object)"

Honestly, it frightens me that anyone would hit a 2 week old. I believe in spanking, but that's not spanking, that's abuse. And the idea that parents are being told that this is what God wants them to do is shameful! No religion should be permited to preach abuse, and religious leaders who do, should be held accountable just as the parents who listen to them!

Watch the 20/20 Episode HERE

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• so sad. so disturbing. No one should find justification from God to abuse their children- at any age- ever.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• There's a lot of corrupt groups that call themselves churches that do lots of outlandish stuff. Common sense says no, I wouldn't associate with a group who chose to do so.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Hell no! This is outrageous and very sad. But honestly at this point nothing more that happens in this messed up world shocks me, the only comfort I find is that God will take care of these lunatics sooner or later.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Would I? certainly not, but nor do I believe that this radical group represents the whole of Christianity, but neither do you. I'm sure you will find the majority, if not all visitors to your post in agreeance with your position that the situation presented is shameful and false teachings
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• OH MY!!! I cant even imagine hurting my children it breaks my heart to see them hurt .... people like that shouldnt even be around children God doesnt bless you with a child to hurt them
    mom0510

Answer by mom0510 at 12:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• That's a big hell no! Just when you think it can't possibly get anymore ridiculous, it does. The sad part is that there's parents who listen to this shit and follow it.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• How sickening. Hopefully after the exposure by 20/20, social services will step in and remove those poor innocent children from those deranged people.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I was honestly shocked that there were ANY parents that followed this, unfortunately there were quite a few! Truly scary!

And no, Kristi, I don't believe these people represent Christians at all! People like this represent a lot of things, Christianity isn't one of them, no matter how much they try to use obscure bible references to defend their practices!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I hope so popzaroo... Which was part of why I'm posting here... I'm sure there are many who didn't watch this, who should!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• People who truly believe that is the will of god need to be locked away and beaten themselves!
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 12:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2011