Obsessed??

My little boy just turned 5 in march..He is obsessed with Wii and Tv. It drives me crazy! I limit his use to 2 shows or a movie and usually about 20-30 mins on Wii, but he constantly wants to play and asks when were not even home yet. I didnt allow him to really watch TV until he was over 2 and the Wii we got months ago..Im curious who else deals with this..is it most kids??

socalikim

Asked by socalikim at 12:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• half an hour a day that is all you can play. say this and stick with it.

typing

kabuly2000

Answer by kabuly2000 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Kids are bombarded by technology these days. It's important to keep a balance of indoor AND outdoor activities.
    Does he play sports? Go to the park? Play I-Spy or Pretend you are scientists collecting different leaves...etc
    What kinds of natural landmarks are around you? Beaches? Mountains? State Parks?
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 12:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• He is well balanced..very imaginative and active,,he rides his bike,scooter,plays outside,loves football & soccer, goes to the park,goes for long walks,LOVES legos,puzzles,books,coloring,plays with cars,action figures,you name it he does it but he is constantly wanting to play Wii or watch TV. I limit it ofcourse..I sometimes wonder if it can be Adhd(his father had it as a child)
    socalikim

Comment by socalikim (original poster) at 12:40 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My 4 yr old DD loves TV -- but she also plays soccer and is on a gymnastics team. I limit her to 2 30 min shows per day. Thats really like 40 min of tv!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I know ADHD has many symptoms, and I suppose that could be, however mine was just diagnosed with ADHD and doesn't have the attention span to spend more than 15 or 20 minutes in front of TV - it can be on all evening during the week and all day on weekends and she will be in her room without TV playing with dolls, or coloring - anything but watching TV - as far as wii we can't afford it, but I wouldn't get it anyway because she wouldn't play it enough to make it worthwhile - she would much rather be outdoors riding her bike or just playing ball
    mamamel61

Answer by mamamel61 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• try putting him in soccer or tball or football. somthing that he can then go and practice outside. or you can do with him. thats what i have done for my 6 year old and he is on the xbox, wii, tv, ds and computer alot less. he goes to practice 2-3 days a week, games 2 days a week and so when he plays his games its more of a treat !
    cmerc19

Answer by cmerc19 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2011