Sloppy blood work?

Ok so this has never happened to me but I keep seeing posts on other forums and Google searches about women who "knew" they were pregnant but had multiple negative blood tests. If HCG is necessary to sustain a pregnancy and a blood test can detect even a level 1 HCG count, how can these women get a zero HCG count and still be pregnant? Is the blood test not as accurate as they say? Or maybe it is just half a** work on the lab workers end....Anyone have any insight on this?

Missalissa86

Asked by Missalissa86 at 12:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have never had a wrong blood test but....as far as the home test I had 5 pos. tests before I got a pos blood test that was also pos. A friend of mine got neg blood tests till she was in her 5th month. It goes along with people who still get their period every month when their pregnant. Their body dosnt need the same ammount of hormones that others do. My friend would have never even known she was pregnant if she didnt get an ultrasound...and the only reason she got that was because even though she was getting her period and had neg blood tests she just knew she was....and she wouldnt leave the hospital without having an ultrasound done.....turned out she was 5 months along.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Was that her 1st pregnancy? If not, were her other pregnancies normal or were they all difficult to catch on a pregnancy test? (blood or urine) What sort of symptoms did she have? I am so fascinated by stories like this! I wanna grab a soda and a bucket of popcorn and just sit in front of the computer! lol
    Missalissa86

Comment by Missalissa86 (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Sometimes it has to do with what test you purchase. Cheap versions will only detect a certain amount of the HCG hormone. A test like EPT will detect even an minimal amount. However, the HCG hormone will always be present during a pregnancy. It has to be there...if you're human.
    Fab40Mom71

Answer by Fab40Mom71 at 1:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2011