What's so bad about kids watching a lot of tv?

My 4 year old loves cartoons and movies and I let her watch a few hours during the school week and as much as she wants on weekends and I don't see a problem with this. She is very social, not overweight, does great in school. Every parent-teacher conference I hear great things about her, and she still loves to go outside and play every once in a while but she loves cartoons and movies. She has been in speech therapy since K3 and cartoons and movies have helped her so much! She started slowly memorizing the lines in movies and now she is a pro, plus all these educational cartoons nowadays are great. So again, what's the problem?

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 12:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• There's nothing wrong with it. I allow my 19 month old son to watch tv whenever he wants to. He loves watching Nick Jr. also. And he has learned alot from it. He's learned new words and the meanings of certain words. I don't let him watch anything innappropriate or violent and like your daughter, he is not overweight and he is social and very active. Most of the time he'd rather play than watch tv anyway but Im just saying that there is nothing wrong with a child watching tv. Some people just really overreact over some things.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 2:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Gotta balance outdoor fun with indoor. As long as she is playing out in nature as well as enjoying her movies, I see no harm in it!
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 12:55 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i don't see anything wrong with watching tv. but it's also important for kids to be active and imaginative everyday. even if its cold or rainy outside there's a lot you can do inside the house with their toys, crafts, and games like hide and seek and things like that. or you can go places that are indoors. i know around here its hard to find places to go to when its cold or rainy because there's not much. the most we have is a chuck e cheeses and indoor mini golf...not much, but it serves its purpose.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 1:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I personally think tv is okay but kids should not sit around and do nothing all day! Go outside play do more active things it doesn't matter about they're weight. We watch tv and go to the drive in movies but we also try to be a lot more active!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 12:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Gets kids into the habit of sitting around instead of being active and staying healthy. Also, they might see something violent or inappropriate and it could traumatize them or prompt them to mimic the behavior. (do you really want your kids singing the barney song all day? or mimicking violent behavior?). There's a Cartharsis theory with media and behavior (especially with violence in media). Watching violent media agitates people's moods and increases violent behavior and doesn't relieve any underlying aggressive feelings
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Reasons like this.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090601182830.htm

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• sorry im a little tired so didnt make much sence but as long as shes healthy and u the parent are then go for it as long as shes still healthy and not watching all the violent shows which you already said she wasnt and you want to understand why well actually just remember your are really the only one whos opinion matters your her parent not the other people out here
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 3:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• During the wintertime is not so easy go outside where I live since the temperatures can be brutal, plus she does get outdoor time at recess in school everyday(weather permitting) And I pointed out the weight since a lot of people associate kids who watch a lot of tv/play video games to being overweight.
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 1:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• She does not watch violent movies or shows, I said cartoons(usually Nick JR) and Pixar or Disney movies and she is healthy. I guess this is exactly what I am talking about, why do people see it as such a big deal? If the child is happy, the child is healthy, the child is learning, social, friendly, loving, ect....what's the issue? I really want to understand this because I see so many moms do not like to have their kids watch more than 20-30 minutes of tv a day.
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I completely agree tiffanynichols! Glad someone understands me :)
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 2:26 AM on Apr. 9, 2011