My 5 week old son...

I feel like I am losing my mind, they always say mother knows best but now I am second guessing myself!

My son just turned 5 weeks, he is purely breastfeeding and getting at least 4oz a feeding. At 3 weeks he started vomiting, not spitting up but full fledge letting it fly! I have been to the doctors so much i feel like i am moving in! They tell me that they aren't worried because he is gaining weight (he now weighs 12lbs) his birth weight was 8lbs 12oz. He has been throwing up after every feeding and even in between feedings! Then he screams after because hes hungry...again! he eats EVERY hour on the hour it is crazy! Now he is vomiting clear fluids!

I feel like i am losing my mind because I think it is more then just nothing not to mention i don't carry burp cloths around, I carry full size bath towels!!! Anyone else having any issues?!

I also have a 2 year old daughter that was breast fed till she was 6 months with NO problems.

Bratch1707

Asked by Bratch1707 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds to me like he is allergic to your breast milk. My sister was that way, and could only drink goats milk.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 1:08 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Babies can't be allergic to breast milk. Maybe something you are eating, but not your actual milk.

It sounds more like reflux to me. Have you asked about that?
    JenW777

Answer by JenW777 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It is probably something in your diet ! Have you noticed it more after certain meals ?
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 1:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I am so sorry, I wish I could offer you advice but I am not a doctor just a mama who can relate. I was so terrified when my son vomited for a week straight... barely keeping anything down. It was resolved quickly. His major problem was his sleeping patterns. He literally would not sleep longer than an hour or MAYBE two for the first few months of his life and if it wasnt the sleeping pattern it was the sleeping shedule....always something.... I was so stressed that I truly thought I was going crazy.
    You will make it thru this time, things always get better!!! You are strong & so is your lil one.
    I hope that you find some peace and a solution ASAP!
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 1:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Baby's CAN be allergic to breast milk. Do research, please!
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 1:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Have your doctors discussed something called "pyloric stenosis"?
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 1:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I would go with something you are eating. My 7 week old was going nuts the other. Crying, wouldn't eat, lots of gas, then no gas. I looked up a list of foods that aggravate newborns. Cauliflower was one of them. It was the only food I suddenly added to my diet. I stopped eating it and she got better. Onions, broccoli, and a few other healthy foods that you think are going to be good for your little one can actually aggravate their bellies.

Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Thats what I thought, i was told breast milk is specifically made for your baby, but I have taken out all dairy and done the elimination diet. I did ask about the reflux, but they wont give him medication, because hes gaining weight, but I feel like its more then just reflux.
    Bratch1707

Comment by Bratch1707 (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It might be rare, but still possible.
    allen.moriahd

Answer by allen.moriahd at 1:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Everything i have read says that a baby can't be allergic to a mothers breast milk but rather what is in it. We also did an ultrasound to check and see if pyloric stenosis was the cause of all this but the tech said he looked fine.
    Bratch1707

Comment by Bratch1707 (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2011