Spit up

ok so my 3 week old didnt use to spit up but lately she has for like the past week. I am breastfeeding could it maybe be because she is eating too much? but then after she spits up it is like she still wants to eat or maybe its her tummy hurts and she wants the warmth of my stomach and a pacifier boob. Any suggestions of what is going on I don't think she is sick. but i want to be able to make her feel better i know spitting up doesnt feel good. thanks for any suggestions

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 1:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try burping a little more often this way its not because there is a bubble in her tummy. If that dosnt help then she might be over eating and I would try the paci and holding her. If you changed your diet that could also cause it. Congrats on your little one!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:34 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Do try burping more often! She could just be getting lots of air in her tummy. And don't worry, MOST babies spit up a little when they nurse and it doesn't bother them a bit! It's strange since it would bother us!! :) Breastfed babies generally do not overeat. They can get too much too fast with let down or when we are engorged, but they can nurse without eating - just to be latched on for the comfort.

Congratulations!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Congrats mommy! I agree with these ladies too:) Our DD still spits up at 3mo, not a whole lot and not everytime. But I'm pretty sure shes eats really fast, she's a pig.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:30 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My doctor said spit up is normal because the esophogeol muscles that close to keep food down aren't fully developed yet because they had to breathe in amneotic fluid in the womb. One way she said i could tell if my baby was overeating (which he did) was if the little tiny bone in breastplate was poking way upward. Try giving her the pacifyer instead as often as you can till she gets used to it. However if she starts crying like in pain /choking while eating then it's probably acid reflux and they will put a baby on medicine for that at the pediatrician. My son had it and the medicine helped him alot so did switching the formula to one specially made for digestive problems cause he had alot of gas pain (colic/crying). Call the dr if all fails
    ilovemyliam

Answer by ilovemyliam at 8:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2011