Are massage chairs safe to use while pregant?

I just bought a Shiatsu massage chair... and it feels so good on my lower back... but the manual says to ask your doctor before using it if you are pregnant... is it harmful to the baby? I wouldn't think so, but now I am nervous about using it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would think if the settings aren't too high you would be ok. Most likely they are protecting themselves from lawsuits. If you are worried, I would call you doc.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Sure, if it is relaxing. I wouldnt do it too long though. Maybe in 15 minute increments. If you or the baby are bothered by it dont do it.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 8:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I was in a massage chair an hour before my water broke... be careful... =) Or if its that time stay in it! lol.
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 8:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I'd agree with reflect1light. I saw this article about it and you're right, a lot of times it is to protect companies from lawsuits, which is smart on their part. However, there are trigger points that can induce labor. Here's the article I was reading: https://www.hitechmassagechairs.com/news/massage-chair-while-pregnant/
    Still, it's always best to ask your doctor. I think you just have to be very careful as your body can be very delicate at this point.
    IvyMcCarthy

Answer by IvyMcCarthy at 1:48 AM on Sep. 19, 2014